Fusion Drysuit - Can't Stay Warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have a hot drink before the dive. Are you keeping warm beforehand? I've heard the Thermal Fusion can almost be too warm for some people. Do you have a good hood?

Have a hot drink before the dive. Are you keeping warm beforehand? I've heard the Thermal Fusion can almost be too warm for some people. Do you have a good hood?

Here in AZ pre-dive warmth is not a problem. This past weekend it was nearly 70 degrees at the surface. I was actually too warm before getting into the drysuit and into the water. I do have a good hood, 7mm hood. Head stays rather comfortable.

Presuming you mean be more active on the dive? I've tried that too. Even when active and kicking way more than I should be I'm still chilled.
What you consume before the dive. Getting a good breakfast or whatever meal is appropriate can make a big difference.

I dive a Fusion Bullet with the Thermal Fusion garment over some Hot Chilis base in 38F cave for four hours. Am I toasty warm? No, but I'm not terribly cold either.
May try a thicker hood, dry gloves, a warm meal or drink before the dive, heavier base layer.

It doesn't have anything to do with the suit itself. All shell suits provide essentially zero thermal protection. Assuming you are not talking about a neoprene dry suit or equivalent, that particular suit is the same for warmth as any other brand shell.

You shouldn't need to add more air/etc, you just need warmer undergarments. There really is a giant difference in undergarments between brands even if they seem similar. If you're cold you just need better undergarments for that temperature.

I used to dive a Fusion regularly in water in the 58°-62° range, and I used a simple base layer plus what was then White's medium eight suit--the MK2. I was just fine, with dives up to about 80 minutes. I then did a one hour dive in Puget Sound with temperatures of about 46°, and I made the mistake of thinking that would be cold enough to merit the Whites MK23 undergarment. It didn't. After one hour, I was sweating.

I just dove in 50-55F water with a simple base layer and 200g BZ200 with dry gloves. Was ok for about an hour in the water.

I dive a fusion bullet in Michigan winters with a thermal fusion - it's toasty...... the water temperature is low 30s in some places.

Everyone is different - you just need something warmer. Maybe a heated vest?

If your base layer that you are wearing beneath your thermal fusion does not wick the moisture away from your body, your perspiration while diving (and you will perspire)-- as you stated, your surface temps are pretty warm also; you will definitely get chilled. Make sure your base layer beneath your thermal fusion will wick moisture away.

Back
Top Bottom