Future Innovations in Scuba Gear?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dearman:
Carbon and aluminum mixed together = bad. Galvanic corrosion occurs in saltwater environment. Glass works with alum core. Most core used with carbon is nomex, which is a paper based on kevlar. Paper, string and glue - just like grade school.

I think most cars now lay down pre coated (pregpreg) fabric now. Otherwise it's the same as you mention. Scuba vessels are most likely wound with prepreg carbon tow (bundle of fibre) by an automated machine. After that, the process is similar.

Weight and capacity are the big factors. It doesn't make sence to lighten the tank just to add it to your belt unless you get some other benifit. Of coarse a .5mil heated suit would take it off the belt anyway...

...which takes us back to generating and storing electricity off the energy disbursed by the first stage reg. :D

gangrel441:
For those of you in the audience who aren't familiar with auto racing or cycling, carbon fibre is used as the construction material on open wheel race cars (Indycars, Champcars, Formula 1, etc.) because it is lighter and stronger than steel. I don't have any personal knowledge of how well it handles pressure, but I would imagine this is a pretty safe bet.

iam aware of of their application in the motor-racing industry as well as aerospace and nasa. its much lighter than steel and much stronger. but as you mentioned, much is unknown on how it reacts with the crushing waters of the deep.

Spoon:
iam aware of of their application in the motor-racing industry as well as aerospace and nasa. its much lighter than steel and much stronger. but as you mentioned, much is unknown on how it reacts with the crushing waters of the deep.
Just because you don't know doesn't mean no one does.

I've mentioned before, (and someone said in passing earlier in this thread) that I'd love to see something that will scrub the excess N2 out of your system, through chemical, biological, or nano-technological means. Heck, I'd even let them install something in my chest to do it mechanically.

A composite wetsuit, with a central layer of some form of high density battery gel. The gel could be used to power an O2 extractor to feed my rebreather, and if the chemical reaction is exothermic it will help keep me warm as a side benefit.

Luxfer already makes 4350psi wraped scuba tanks , the 85cf is the size of a steel 80 , and still 1.2lbs pos. buoyant. not an improvement over a reg tank ... http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products/scuba/specifications/us_imperial.shtml going to have to improve the technology and hey ,can you say short fill ???

Oceanreef has a heads up display for air pressure and depth in there full face mask... http://www.oceanreefgroup.com/usa.htm

Me , Im wating for a unit to extract O2 from seawater, remove CO2, and keep me warm in a .5mm wetsuit :D

DB

Multifunction integrated BC/wetsuit:

-integrated, personally-formed backplate for tank attach

-solar panels on suit/tank that store up battery power for guages, lights, etc. (improbable, as would still require battery backup or precharge for cloudy days and deep dives)

-distributed air 'bladders' or channels along back, back of legs, buttocks with sufficient flowthrough to allow reorientation underwater, and unobtrusive 'purge' or exhaust valves for adjustment at any position as well. Ditto formed pockets for weights in better distributed locations (chest, waist, etc.). Distribute these as some sort of microcapilary layer in an engineered material and the buoyancy compensation can even become part of your thermal insulation (although the aforementioned flowthrough becomes an issue...)

-luminescent stripes for buddy vis and better deep vis (light-storing like the tritium or whatnot used in watch dials? electroluminescent with a small battery? bioluminescent sealife traps? :)

-surface roughness/abrasion protection like shark skin. Better hydrodynamics in current conditions yet also better skin protection for wreck penetrations or commercial diver hazard conditions

A 'conformal' tank. I know something cylindrical is the best for resisting internal pressure (actually a sphere would be even better, but worse ergonomically), but why not more of a flattened 'elliptical' tank that doesn't stick out from the back as much and streamlines the diver's profile when seen from the head down toward the feet? (Like a 'fat' boogie board shape sort of.) Something a bit wider might allow for off-center placement of regulator valves more off the shoulder thus closer to the mouth (shorter hoses, less tangle, less 'mouthpiece tug').

Internal tank pressure guage that wirelessly connects to a console. (Getting signal out of a metal tank might take some creativity). No additional regulator fitting or hose for guage purposes. I know they have wireless air-integrated computer transmitters now, but these attach to the reg and are external.

Some sort of integrated 'vampire guage' for current blood gas sampling - I'm imagining a wrist computer that samples through a microtubule somehow like a diabetic's blood sugar monitor, but for O2 and N2 levels. Or maybe something can be done optically, like the blood gas monitors hospitals use that shine a light through your finger, somehow.

Heads-up-display mentioned before is great idea. Integrate a camera as well ("look and shoot") as informational guages like tank pressure, depth, temp, and computer warning/status displays. Maybe ability to vary the optical properties of the mask itself either passively or actively - enhance 'reds' at depth, add UV reactivity, convert darker a la sunglasses for very bright/shallow dives (or to block out welding arc light or buddy's careless halogen pointing...)

Some sort of truly comfortable and usable monofin that really makes the body more aquatic when in use, but can be 'snapped apart' and deformed for entry/egress (so legs separate and bend, but only when you want them to).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom