Future Innovations in Scuba Gear?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dearman:
Carbon fiber tanks are currently available at 4500 capapcity. At least you can find a fill at that pressure. http://www.airhog.com/ sells them at about $500.

are these carbon fiber tanks structurally as ridgible as steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, i dont know. kinda skeptical.

Carbon fiber tanks work great, firefighters and paintballers use them all the time.

There are a number of issues with them.. they are very light, so they're very buoyant and require a lot of lead.. they are more easily damaged (a chip in the fiberglass can comdemn a tank), and they have a limited lifetime (15 years max I believe).

they are currently doing this in mit in conjunction with shell exploration for their deep sea oli divers. i wouldnt be surprised if they had this out in the near future

It's my understanding that this is also the technology found on most modern subs as well. However, as these are rigid vessels, along with the deep exploration "suits", the occupants are not subjected to pressures much greater than 1 ATA, and hence no real problem with breathing high concentrations of oxygen. In order for something to work in any kind of scuba environment where the diver is subjected to pressures greater 1 ATA, you would need to dilute the O2 content with an innert gas. Until that is resolved, all it would be good for is boat and pool cleaning. Hmmmm, commercial applications...now where did I install AutoCAD on this PC.

John

pants!:
Carbon fiber tanks work great, firefighters and paintballers use them all the time.

There are a number of issues with them.. they are very light, so they're very buoyant and require a lot of lead.. they are more easily damaged (a chip in the fiberglass can comdemn a tank), and they have a limited lifetime (15 years max I believe).

i hare ya bro its one thing to test it in land with painballers but two feet underwater wherein your loifeline to the surface may be on your equipment, i put my faith in the tried and tested aluminum tanks. why change a good thing. unless your willing to be the guineaa pig:)

Well, I came to this thread sort of late, and most of what I would say has already been said....but let's see.

-Something like the seacure mouthpiece, but for a mask (i.e., custom fit skirt).

-The previously alluded to idea of HUD in mask. At least, it would be nice to have a flashing red light come on when computer triggers an alarm. I feel that I am lucky to hear those little beeps. Another option which I have previously posted on, that would use existing technology would be to use a vibration alarm like everyone has in their cell phones.

-Reasonably high power but very compact dive light integrated into wetsuit near wrist

-Inertial navigation monitor (e.g., worn on wrist or as a mode option on dive computer), that would show your position relative to starting point)

-re: air options - Read an article last week about a new air system which is essentially a high speed centrifuge worn on back. It literally spins the oxygen out of water (ergo, inexaustbile supply). A compact prototype exists and is currently being tested by Israeli Navy as I recall.

-Wonder if it would be possible to develop a pill that you could take before diving that would immunize you against DCI. Some sort of nitrogen scavenging compound.

-Fish are so much more agile than us, in part because they have fins all over the place. Maybe this wouldn't work - I don't know - but, I have wondered what it would be like to swim with a couple of small fins elsewhere (like maybe some rigid 4-inch triangular fins on integrated into the shoulder area of your suit, so that you could use some body english while swiming underwater. Vectored thrust placed at the end of a body without any control surfaces elsewhere (e.g., a diver with fins) is inherently a non-agile, tricky to steer arrangement.

<<Carbon fiber tanks work great, firefighters and paintballers use them all the time.

There are a number of issues with them.. they are very light, so they're very buoyant and require a lot of lead.. they are more easily damaged (a chip in the fiberglass can comdemn a tank<<

Well, for diving, how about a light-weight carbon fiber tank for PSI purposes, with a lead coating, just thick enough to provide a proper amount of weighting (perhaps the specific thickness could be a purchase option to allow for different weighting for different divers) and to protect the carbon fiber against chipping.

Spoon:
i hare ya bro its one thing to test it in land with painballers but two feet underwater wherein your loifeline to the surface may be on your equipment, i put my faith in the tried and tested aluminum tanks. why change a good thing. unless your willing to be the guineaa pig:)
Trust me, a firefighter is more dependent on that tank on his back than you are when you're diving. The fiber wrapped tanks are proven and they work.

They just have characteristics that make them a pain for diving.. reliability is not an issue though.

dlwalke:
<<Carbon fiber tanks work great, firefighters and paintballers use them all the time.

There are a number of issues with them.. they are very light, so they're very buoyant and require a lot of lead.. they are more easily damaged (a chip in the fiberglass can comdemn a tank<<

Well, for diving, how about a light-weight carbon fiber tank for PSI purposes, with a lead coating, just thick enough to provide a proper amount of weighting (perhaps the specific thickness could be a purchase option to allow for different weighting for different divers) and to protect the carbon fiber against chipping.
I've always liked that idea. Take what is essentially a normal Al or steel tank, then wrap the fiber around that to increase the service pressure significantly. Investors? :wink:

dlwalke:
-The previously alluded to idea of HUD in mask. At least, it would be nice to have a flashing red light come on when computer triggers an alarm. I feel that I am lucky to hear those little beeps. Another option which I have previously posted on, that would use existing technology would be to use a vibration alarm like everyone has in their cell phones.

-Inertial navigation monitor (e.g., worn on wrist or as a mode option on dive computer), that would show your position relative to starting point)
This one is getting closer everyday. We now have a 4 axis laser ring gyro that will run 3-4 hours on a 9V battery for around $1K, and is the size of a cigarette pack. The tough part from what I’ve heard is getting the HUD to work well with different vision issues so they have to “project” the image out which takes much more power.

Hopefully the new organic or nanotube LEDs might solve some of that problem.

Spoon:

For those of you in the audience who aren't familiar with auto racing or cycling, carbon fibre is used as the construction material on open wheel race cars (Indycars, Champcars, Formula 1, etc.) because it is lighter and stronger than steel. I don't have any personal knowledge of how well it handles pressure, but I would imagine this is a pretty safe bet.

Back
Top Bottom