Future Innovations in Scuba Gear?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking it would be cool if it (the transmitter) could serve two purposes:
- non emergency, a tracking blip in a wire-frame (3d) display that could be rotated so the boat captain could track people in the water. Maybe an in-water DM could have an HUD so they could go "recover" straying buddies.
- an emergency mode that would go high power after a certain elapsed time or when manually triggered, with a powerful enough signal to come up through the water column or be detected from the surface.

Oh yeah, and it should be price competitive with a good safety sausage :wink:

Remember, this is future, speculative stuff, so as long as it doesn't violate the laws of physics, why not?

Personally, I'd rather get the turbidity/silt-cancelling mask first, though, I'd have a lot more use for that on a day-to-day basis.

I'd like to see a computer that provides truly individualized bubble information, not based on any algorythm, but on an integrated doppler system. The diver would be able to read what his on- and off-gassing status is at all times and take the appropriate steps to avoid getting hit. It would take the guesswork out of decompression forever.

plongeursousmarin:
I'd like to see a computer that provides truly individualized bubble information, not based on any algorythm, but on an integrated doppler system. The diver would be able to read what his on- and off-gassing status is at all times and take the appropriate steps to avoid getting hit. It would take the guesswork out of decompression forever.
This is an idea I’ve discussed extensively with a friend at NASA in the medical group and we’ve bounced some ideas around based on the development of ultrasound equipment for the space station. This could be the single most important safety device ever. We also discussed having a standardized Doppler unit that could stay on the boat and upload your current microbubble status to your dive computer before each dive.

CHEAP RB----no more regulator and tank service threats by LDS.
self warming wetsuit-no more hassle from dry suit....
Underwater GPS
long battery life for any equipment: One good news, Samsung SDI develops a portable butane gas generator. One can of butane gas can generate 60W for 8 hours. I hope this tech can be applied to our scuba gear.....

divewriter:
A the 1997 DEMA show in Orlando, there were a couple of Russians going around with a 12,000 psi titanium tank. Actually getting such a tank into hands of recreational divers would not only mean overcomming DOT hurdles, but also developing a new reg technology, possibly a three-stage design, and most important, building compressors that could pump to those pressures economically.

Still, it could happen.

A few questions. What is the service life of that tank? Prices? Capacity of said tank? Buoyancy characteristics?

MikeC:
A few questions. What is the service life of that tank? Prices? Capacity of said tank? Buoyancy characteristics?
And, can it be overfilled to 15,000psi for cave diving? :wink:

Joe

MikeC:
No one knows for sure yet since titanium while plenty strong for a single fill may have some real problems after multiple filling cycles.

DrSteve:
200 L of liquid N2 costs around 120 dollars and I believe their are restrictions on liquid O2. But what would the weight be of a tank filled to that pressure?

Sorry man... I am not carrying around liquid O2 regardless of the potential. As a HazMat Technician I can pretty much assure you won't want to carry it either. A small drip of liquid o2 on a petroleum based surface (asphault streets, tapes, adhesives, etc) - and you're gonna react violently.

... wasn't there a thread around here about blowing up a scuba tank... load it with liquid o2... that'll do the trick.

kc0czi:
Sorry man... I am not carrying around liquid O2 regardless of the potential. As a HazMat Technician I can pretty much assure you won't want to carry it either. A small drip of liquid o2 on a petroleum based surface (asphault streets, tapes, adhesives, etc) - and you're gonna react violently.

... wasn't there a thread around here about blowing up a scuba tank... load it with liquid o2... that'll do the trick.

Whaler Kyle hasn't done that one yet, but there was a link showing liquid O2 makes a very fine charcoal lighting fluid. Of course, containment was an issue since the hibachi melted in about a second, but the charcoal was ready for the steaks...

In seriousness, the doppler computer would be awesome.

kc0czi:

So blend the liquid O2 with N2 and you'll be fine. I've played with liquid O2 caught from liquid N2 traps and it's not been a big deal. But it does mean your tank will have to be very clean, but hey - you're getting it O2 cleaned every fill!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom