Future Innovations in Scuba Gear?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dearman:
This thread was a joy to read. As an engineer, I love running across ideas inexpensive enough for an individual to dream up and make reality. Most of what you've given is limited by the price factor but some of it sounds like it could be done. It'd be nice to work on something for the joy of it instead of to pay the bills. I may doodle a bit on the ideas that are not so expensive to not have a market.

let me know when you have a working prototype up and running:)

ssra30:
I thought I saw somewhere that Oceanic is coming with such computer in the near future. You can stick the little display inside your own mask.

There is also something that you can add between first and second stage that will add moisture to the air you breathe. I think I saw it on scubatoy website but am not sure.

here it is looks interesting

http://www.aqua-one.com/article.jsp?articleId=16

The Bio Filter adds moisture to the air you breath and it attaches right at your first stage. Bought one from Larry at Scuba Toys but never tried it yet.

MikeC:
So, you want to become a saturation diver but at the surface in a thin flexible suit. As long as you are at pressure, the nitrogen loading continues. The helmet on your head might make eating difficult. Normal bodily functions would be more "interesting", work would be impossible.

If the system fails, you die.

You didn't notice :wink: man!

Rebreather solves dryair issues and hoovering...

:wink:
Spoon:
let me know when you have a working prototype up and running:)

I'll have to pass on trying to make the gill implants :wink:

Websearches show some of the other ideas are already done. It usually takes a hundred research ideas to get the right one.

For now, I'll take notes in case I want to pursue one.

The most sought after innovation...the end of the HUB. :D

An effective navigation system...BTW, Dacor had a water ballast system they were trying to market about 30 years ago...I tried it, was very awkward in design

A reliable and cheap transmitter/receiver system that allowed tracking by the dive boat but after a set time upped the power to allow rescue craft (air and water) to receive the signal. Kind of like EPRB but with variable power and works underwater.

A universally accepted curriculum and implementation thereof that produced uniformly capable divers.

A mask that filtered out suspended particulate to improve vis (think about how the Bose noise cancelling headsets work.)

A very thin (think .5mm) powered exposure suit that could provide sufficient warmth to go from tropical to freezing.

Reliable and servicable lightweight cylinders - double 120s that would weigh 15# empty.

LED lights that would rival 18W HID but with a coke-can sized power pack.

Dry gloves that didn't leak and weren't a PITA to put on.

Back
Top Bottom