Future of DiveShops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't take wealth to go scuba diving. It takes more than just getting by, but it's financially attainable for a lot of people. The wealthy dive too, but off of private yachts.

It doesn't take wealth to go scuba diving. It takes more than just getting by, but it's financially attainable for a lot of people. The wealthy dive too, but off of private yachts.
No it doesn't, and there have been recent threads regarding this very topic.
However, if you walked into an LDS and priced out everything you would need full retail to outfit yourself complete the price would be staggering for most people. The wealthy person however would be able do it without even flinching.
Yes there are many ways for people to go diving, buying cheap gear online, used gear, free gear, borrowed gear, whatever. But this thread pertains to the future of the LDS and then at somepoint ad campaigns were mentioned to increase traffic into diving. My point is they're better off hitting up rich people who have the disposable income because they are the ones who will most likely keep the LDS floating, at least the current model.

Interesting thoughts, but I see the elite rich diver as not really helping the industry much. For training, they'll hire a private instructor, likely not affiliated with a LDS. For gear, since they do everything else online, they'd buy gear online, and bypass the lowly LDS and his dingy shop in a strip mall entirely. Plus, they like getting a deal and possibly working towards a small savings on a package deal. High end gear makers might see some return on this elite diver, by selling more titanium regs and high end computers, etc, but I doubt the LDS would see anything from him to make a difference.

I don't agree at all. 30-40% of US households could scuba dive if they wanted to. That's not my definition of a wealthy elite. Average people spend their money on plenty of things that cost money. Fishing on the ocean, skiing, ATVs, boats, video game consoles, big tvs, etc etc. The point is, if people want to dive they will dive.

I don't agree at all. 30-40% of US households could scuba dive if they wanted to. That's not my definition of a wealthy elite. Average people spend their money on plenty of things that cost money. Fishing on the ocean, skiing, ATVs, boats, video game consoles, big tvs, etc etc. The point is, if people want to dive they will dive.
Yes and I mentioned this also, diving is not new and everybody knows about it.
Why does everybody think people have to be hit over the head with it? If they don't want to dive they don't have to.
Diving is a specialized niche sport, always has been always will be. Not everybody is willing to try diving for reasons of their own. Most people have a fear of the water or being underwater. There are a lot of other things I don't see any ads for but people do them.
Why the hard sell on scuba???
We should be happy there are this many people into it.

There are a lot of other things I don't see any ads for but people do them.
Why the hard sell on scuba???
We should be happy there are this many people into it.

You might not see "ads" for them, but you have an awareness of them. I don't see scuba having this same awareness among the general public.

Yes and I mentioned this also, diving is not new and everybody knows about it.

You seem to believe that the only thing advertising does is create awareness. Sure, it does that. But it needs to do much more than that because mere knowledge that something exists is insufficient to motivate someone to take action. The traditional product adoption model has 5 steps (2 through 6 below). Here's my version, which has a few more critical steps...

1. Unaware - no knowledge
  2. Awareness - knowledge that the product exists
  3. Interest - sufficient to seek more information about the product
  4. Evaluation - they actively consider whether the product might be beneficial to them
  5. Trial - first purchase or use of product to determine its usefulness
  6. Adoption - they decide to use the product
  7. Incorporation - they decide to use it repeatedly, often expanding appropriate settings/uses/times
  8. Loyalty - they become emotionally attached, making it harder for another product to displace it
  9. Advocacy - they drive awareness, interest, evaluation, trial, adoption, continued use, and loyalty among others

It's easy to see that its very unlikely that someone will move through all the phases between "Awareness" and "Adoption" (much less jump right over those steps) without providing them with enough information to be more interested, actively evaluate it, and give it a try.

Consider all the people that are AWARE of scuba diving but who have no idea what the training entails, don't understand the safety and safeguards in place, might be overwhelmed by all the gear, can't parse through the various agencies, don't know anyone who dives to give them information or recommendations, etc.

Or maybe no-one has ever given them a message that's motivating. We've discussed the problem with the word "Adventure" that many people like to push. Clearly many people see diving as "an adventure" and that appeals to them; however many other people are turned off by the association of scuba diving with the dictionary definition of adventure: "an undertaking involving danger and unknown risks; a bold or risky undertaking; a hazardous course of action with an uncertain outcome." A great many people who dive see - and perhaps many other would LIKE to see - diving as a relaxing, zen-like way of intimately communing with the beauty of nature in the silent, underwater realm. Doesn't sound very much like "an adventure" does it?

Beyond all that, the reality is that in marketing you need to work your ass off to drive "Top-of-Mind-Awareness" in between every step of the process... because people's lives are full of lots of other things that alternately vie for their attention. Someone might become aware of something, and then get busy at work, have a water heater go at home, someone in the family gets sick, they might decide to buy a bike in the spring, with every intention of coming back to the idea of diving, but without anything (like, maybe advertising) to keep our "product" top of mind throughout ALL stages of the adoption process - with differential messaging appropriate to the customer's barriers, motivators, and informational needs at each step - all those potential customers simply go from being "Aware" to being "Formerly Aware."

If only there was someone who could bring this sort of marketing rigor and discipline to the scuba diving industry. If only...

Hmm.

:crafty:

Last edited:
If only there was someone who could bring this sort of marketing rigor and discipline to the scuba diving industry. If only...

If only indeed. So...what shall we call this new shop? :)

I wrote a few lines many years ago (when I saw the same things we're talking about here happening then) that I have been thinking about recently...hmmmm

Really like your thinking and you taking the time to spell out what you and I already know from our line of work, RJP. I have always loved those who say (loudly, usually at a party when they find out what I do for a living):

"That advertising and marketing BS may work on some folks, but it sure as hell doesn't work on me."

Thing is, it works. Sometimes subtle, sometimes in your face, but if done well, it does plant a seed. Then a little more messaging helps it grow. Next thing you know, its bearing fruit for whoever's logo is on it, if it's done it's job well.

I have always loved those who say (loudly, usually at a party when they find out what I do for a living):
"That advertising and marketing BS may work on some folks, but it sure as hell doesn't work on me."

When I hear that... it's just more proof that our evil plan is still working!

mr-burns-wallpaper.gif.scaled1000.jpg

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 09:34 AM ----------

If only indeed. So...what shall we call this new shop? :)

Funny you should ask...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sh...-nov-19-22-2014-las-vegas-nv.html#post7272991

There will be at least ONE new thing at DEMA this year!

This will not only be MY first time at a DEMA show, but it will also mark the first appearance that a new venture will be making at DEMA. In fact, it will be the first appearance that this new venture will be making ANYWHERE!

AQUIS+Logo+Lockup+SMALL.png

www.AquisMarketing.com

As most SBers know, I’ve had much to say over the past few years about marketing and advertising relative to scuba diving. In particular, I’ve been a vocal proponent of the need for everyone in the industry to take a more rigorous approach to understanding and attracting potential new divers. (And to keeping existing divers active and engaged as well!)

Having spent the last 25 years in various sales, marketing research, consulting, marketing, and advertising roles – working on everything from $500 guerrilla marketing tactics to $5-million Super Bowl ads – I’ve had the opportunity to help brands, organizations, and entire industries leverage a disciplined approach to marketing to drive growth. As an avid diver, active DM, and now Scuba Instructor I know first-hand what it’s like for a new diver to experience the wonder of the underwater world… and to continue to fall ever more in love with scuba diving every time they enter the water. I figure now is as good a time as any to try to combine my profession with my avocation and see what happens.

Consistent with something I was taught about marketing very early on – “If you start out thinking you already know the right path… you’re already lost” – I’m going into this without much of a roadmap. So here I am at DEMA with a box of new business cards, my official "DEMA Noob" name badge, and every intention of doing more listening than talking. Will be interesting to see what come of the experience. Who knows, I might be begging for my old job back before the week is out!

DemaBadge.jpg

If for some strange reason you have an interest in finding out what I’m seeing, hearing, and thinking in Las Vegas at DEMA Show 2014 feel free to follow @AquisMarketing. Also, be sure to let the attendees and exhibitors of #DEMAshow know what you think the industry needs to do to #GrowDiving !

When I hear that... it's just more proof that our evil plan is still working!

mr-burns-wallpaper.gif.scaled1000.jpg

---------- Post added November 19th, 2014 at 09:34 AM ----------

Funny you should ask...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sh...-nov-19-22-2014-las-vegas-nv.html#post7272991

There will be at least ONE new thing at DEMA this year!

This will not only be MY first time at a DEMA show, but it will also mark the first appearance that a new venture will be making at DEMA. In fact, it will be the first appearance that this new venture will be making ANYWHERE!

AQUIS+Logo+Lockup+SMALL.png

www.AquisMarketing.com

As most SBers know, I’ve had much to say over the past few years about marketing and advertising relative to scuba diving. In particular, I’ve been a vocal proponent of the need for everyone in the industry to take a more rigorous approach to understanding and attracting potential new divers. (And to keeping existing divers active and engaged as well!)

Having spent the last 25 years in various sales, marketing research, consulting, marketing, and advertising roles – working on everything from $500 guerrilla marketing tactics to $5-million Super Bowl ads – I’ve had the opportunity to help brands, organizations, and entire industries leverage a disciplined approach to marketing to drive growth. As an avid diver, active DM, and now Scuba Instructor I know first-hand what it’s like for a new diver to experience the wonder of the underwater world… and to continue to fall ever more in love with scuba diving every time they enter the water. I figure now is as good a time as any to try to combine my profession with my avocation and see what happens.

Consistent with something I was taught about marketing very early on – “If you start out thinking you already know the right path… you’re already lost” – I’m going into this without much of a roadmap. So here I am at DEMA with a box of new business cards, my official "DEMA Noob" name badge, and every intention of doing more listening than talking. Will be interesting to see what come of the experience. Who knows, I might be begging for my old job back before the week is out!

DemaBadge.jpg

If for some strange reason you have an interest in finding out what I’m seeing, hearing, and thinking in Las Vegas at DEMA Show 2014 feel free to follow @AquisMarketing. Also, be sure to let the attendees and exhibitors of #DEMAshow know what you think the industry needs to do to #GrowDiving !
Right on Ray!
I hope this works out for you!

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom