Is there an instructor crisis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Carry three pound (?) skis over shoulder, stop at a shop or two in the village on the way, load it in car, drive to hotel/house.
Since when did they make skis out of only balsa wood? 🤔

Have we stopped off in a pub?

Seems as far off topic -- is there an instructor crisis? -- as it is possible to get.

It's evolved into "What's wrong with the dive industry / sport?", which IMHO is a valid question.

I think you guys are off trying to compare skiing to scuba diving and the economics involved. It’s not the economics, it’s the nature if the activity. Snow sports is fast and thrilling, it’s topside, you’re not going to drown, there is a social scene, there’s the element of popular culture infused into the sport such as a skate park type atmosphere with railings to slide off, doing skateboard style moves on snow boards, etc. you can do high speed, carve, cross country/back country thrill seeking, etc.
Diving is nothing like that. Diving doesn’t have the showoff glamour element that snowsports has. It’s not fast and thrilling, it’s too peaceful beautiful and boring for the thrill seeker. This is why young people aren’t taking up diving. I don’t think it has anything to do with money.

I think you guys are off trying to compare skiing to scuba diving and the economics involved. It’s not the economics, it’s the nature if the activity. Snow sports is fast and trilling, it’s topside, you’re not going to drown, there is a social scene, there’s the element of popular culture infused into the sport such as a skate park type atmosphere with railings to slide off, doing skateboard style moves on snow boards, etc. you can do high speed, carve, cross country/back country thrill seeking, etc.
Diving is nothing like that. Diving doesn’t have the showoff glamour element that snowsports has. It’s not fast and thrilling, it’s too peaceful beautiful and boring for thrill seeker. This is why young people aren’t taking up diving. I don’t think it has anything to do with money.
Diving in warm water with a full service dive operation is like skiing at a resort. Everything else like going backcountry skiing. You have to be really committed and have some modicum of skill and self reliance to have a good time.

SCUBA allows you to eat lunch barefoot, not in “cruel shoes”.

It’s harder to tinkle when skiing. Besides- it’s cold, too.

Since when did they make skis out of only balsa wood? 🤔
Opps. Skis + poles like 14 lb... (Skis 7 to 8 lb. Bindings 5 lb. Poles 1 lb.)

Still, you can look cool, stylish and unencumbered carrying ski gear.
Doing that wearing scuba gear, is only for the very few or really short distances.

Opps. Skis + poles like 14 lb... (Skis 7 to 8 lb. Bindings 5 lb. Poles 1 lb.)

Still, you can look cool, stylish and unencumbered carrying ski gear.
Doing that wearing scuba gear, is only for the very few or really short distances.
It was easier carrying sticks back in the day. Shaped skis flop around too much.

Walking in boots sucks. I'd rather walk up the rocks at Cove 2 work doubles on my back.

I don’t think it has anything to do with money.
There was a major decline after the rona measure over here. People have lost a lot of money, many samll businesses have failed and major rise in inflation which also hurt many people.
On easter I usually meet with some buddies at a quarry and it's usually packed. Packed as in hundreds of people there. This year is was a fraction compared to what it once was, quite shocking actually. This is not some fancy live aboard for wealthy boomers. This is a place were normal job type people go... I'm pretty sure it's because of money. What else would it be?

There was a major decline after the rona measure over here. People have lost a lot of money, many samll businesses have failed and major rise in inflation which also hurt many people.
On easter I usually meet with some buddies at a quarry and it's usually packed. Packed as in hundreds of people there. This year is was a fraction compared to what it once was, quite shocking actually. This is not some fancy live aboard for wealthy boomers. This is a place were normal job type people go... I'm pretty sure it's because of money. What else would it be?
I see a lot of millennials and other younger generation spending money on other stuff besides diving, and the amount they spend is equal to or more than what it would cost to be involved with diving. Their priorities are somewhere else, not diving. It’s a car with fancy wheels and a killer stereo, it’s the latest computer gadget, it’s ski trips and other hobbies, going out to dinner and paying for “experiences”. If they concentrated on scuba they could easily do the sport and have money left over, but it’s not registering with them. Diving is something very far removed from popular culture and not something they think about.
Back in the day it was no picnic to survive and make ends meet either. People were willing to work their asses off because there were no free hand outs and they did jobs that were drudgery because they had to. They constantly worked to make themselves better. Life was also simpler then with much fewer distractions.
People these days are so coddled and entitled in comparison, they are taught that they shouldn’t have to do anything that doesn’t mesh with their dreams; they should design their lives so they are always happy and they shouldn’t have do anything that stresses them or causes them any discomfort.
It’s nauseating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom