Future of OC trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in WI I can do a 160+ft dive every weekend if I wanted to during the summer and not dive the same wreck twice
(OT)

Where abouts do you dive in Wisconsin? Just curious as didn't realise there were so many wrecks. Where I dive, south coast of UK, there's literally thousands of them. Got three days booked up for this weekend+Mon.

(OT)

Where abouts do you dive in Wisconsin? Just curious as didn't realise there were so many wrecks. Where I dive, south coast of UK, there's literally thousands of them. Got three days booked up for this weekend+Mon.
There are a few wrecks scattered in the Great Lakes.

I'm going to take the contrary public opinion. I personally think there's huge value in doing OC normoxic trimix before hopping on CCR.

On OC you'll get more comfortable with the real gas consumption rates incurred at deeper depths (this is important for when you need to bail out and the clock starts ticking), you'll develop skills working with multiple decompression bottles (this is important for when you're on CCR and need to bail out and start managing bottle swaps), and (in the states) you won't really break the bank (this is important for your ability to keep diving).

Generally speaking, the cost of OC trimix diving comes down to that first fill and then the top-ups. You dedicate a set of cylinders to mix and then just re-fill what you use after a dive. It's rare that a person is chewing through all of their gas on a dive -- after that first fill, top-ups tend to be in the $100-120 range (at least in Florida). Not cheap, sure, but not ball breakers either.

Additionally, there's the personal development time you'll lose when switching to CCR. Most people find they lose "a season" when they move to CCR to get back to where they were previously, but I've also noticed that people that are very comfortable working with multiple bottles adapt to the rebreather quicker.

Because most of the people I know doing deeper dives on CCR's tend to limit their depths to 240' or shallower, I'm not convinced there's any advantage of doing hypoxic on OC.

Having said all that, there are significant advantages to diving a CCR over OC (problem solving time, warm moist gas which aids decompression, re-load time between dives are just three), but I personally find that the people that come to a CCR program with significant OC tech experience (including multiple bottle handling) tend to do better with the transition to rebreathers.
You are letting the ease of your location skew your view.
Most places in the US don't have helium available.
Of those that do, it isn't $1 per cf like in Florida.
Many places and boats won't fill OC trimix as it is a ridiculous hassle hauling that volume of gas. ( I am currently contemplating doing away with it for remote trips.)
Most shops that will fill trimix, only fill from empty as they have no booster, no banked gases, and no mixing sticks. That throws out top ups.
OC trimix in the Great Lakes area is an entirely different world than OC trimix in Cave Country and Pompano.
I blend and sell a lot of trimix, It is getting harder and harder to come by helium, even being a large volume buyer. I had a scare two weeks ago that had me scrambling over a few states to come up with some. It won't be long before it just isn't a viable option.

I paid $4.60/cft last summer in the Chicago area. This year, if shops I talked to could get it, price would have been $5/cft - or higher. I was even checking with shops up in the Milwaukee area and north.

Road trip to FL anyone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom