Future Sidemounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoPo Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hello guys and gals,

I’m thinking that next year I’m going to make the jump into sidemount for some deep wreck and cavern dives. I’m leaning towards the Dive Rite Nomad, but see sooo many of them for sale on EBay it makes me think they are not up to snuff. So with that said, what input do you guys have for sidemount set ups. What’s good, what’s bad, etc. Before this particular topic gets brought up, No... I’m not interested in Backmount doubles. Thanks all!

Zack

It may help to tell folks what type of diving you anticipate. Specifically tanks.

There are two general schools/styles of rigs, started or focused around two types of tanks carried.
1) Mexico: best for buoyant or neutral tanks. Lighter harness, mostly straps.
2) Florida: best for handling very negative tanks. More heavy built harness and stiffer structure for supporting the tank weight. A rather defining characteristic is a soft 'plate' over the butt with two 'door handles' sticking up for hanging the tanks off of, and a stiffer spine section. Nomad looks to be of this style.

Two descriptions of the two schools (by the same person):
The Two Schools of Sidemount Diving Heritage
Is Side Mount the new DIR??? Building resentment towards us as a group...

I'd scan the sub forum for school/style discussions. Not that one or the other is best. Just rigs may be better for one or the other. If you have lots of negative from your tanks, as part of your buoyancy or to carry tons of gas, the Mexico style will limit you by not handling that as well. If you're using 2x AL80, you do not need the Florida style, and would clip the tank to the waist anyway so much of the Florida rig stiffness would be just extra bulk.

Another factor is how much gas you plan to carry. Lots and lots of gas means a bigger bubble and more issues on how well your rig handles that. Little gas, small bubble, not an issue at all.

Some rigs seem to straddle the two: xDeep Stealth from the Mexico side, and Hollis Katana from the Florida side.

I'm new to sidemount after doing a lot of reading, so take all the above as maybe - sort of, beyond letting you know there are two general types of rigs.

I have the Stealth and like it, but have only used tiny sidemount tanks: 2x AL40 or 2x LP50. I don't anticipate I'll need more than say 2x LP85/AL80 + 2x AL40, which apparently it should handle just fine. Apparently you can order the Stealth in colors and embroidered from the manufacturer.

Edit: a set of search results:
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/search/37954550/?q=mexico+florida+style&o=date&c[node]=799

If sidemount and the XDeep is of interest then Protec Tulum and Playa del Carmen Mexico are a first class choice. One of the owners - Patrick - is the primary designer of that sidemount system, and you get first class set up and training.

2018_11_11_Skanda-Kim_Nartiz-206.jpg

Have a look at the Z System too.

If in deep open water, the light rigs will work but you’ll ride low on the surface.
I personally opted for a slightly larger wing but tightened in on the harness so it’s snug but a bit more bouyancy which I like on the surface.

xDeep Stealth. Get the classic if you'll only be diving backgas. Get the Tec if you want to dive heavy steels or a bunch of stages.

Every diver will have their own favourite rig and you will comes across many who will say their was is the only correct way.
Remember a good diver with experience will make any rig work for them.
I am still relatively new to SM (100+dives) and it does take time to get everything dialled in correctly.
My own rig is the X Deep which can carry 2×al80 and 2x al40 easily
I like the simple design, the spine weights, the bladder system. I love the ring bungie's and I do not have to resort to putting weights on the tanks to keep them trimmed.
Having seen divers wearing them, I would avoid anything that is dual use. These hybrid systems look very bulky to me.
Keep it simple
Keep it "clean"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom