FYI cold water in WPB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone been out this week? Wondering if conditions are getting any better. This is my first year diving certified in May and it is proving a little frustrating and expensive. Trip on Sunday was ~$120 for 30 second dive depth of 2 feet because conditions where so bad.

Buddy of mine went out off Boynton yesterday and reported 50' viz but 3-4'seas with chop. I'm there tomorrow, hoping for better.

Anyone been out this week? Wondering if conditions are getting any better. This is my first year diving certified in May and it is proving a little frustrating and expensive. Trip on Sunday was ~$120 for 30 second dive depth of 2 feet because conditions where so bad.

I went out of wpb on Sunday with Wet Temptations. It was a pretty big boat, but they got us in and out the water pretty efficiently. It wasn't my favorite boat, Kyalami with Capt Sl8r is. Viz was crap and free divers made us divert to a different location, but we dove. Once we got to depth, viz was a little better. Tons of jellies at the surface. We did South Doubles and Mid Reef, neither was a spectacular dive and I rank the reefs as the weakest I've done, but at least I was diving. There was a strong surface current at South Doubles, it was pulling my SMB at a 45 degree angle during my safety stop.

What boat did you go on, where did it take you, and what exactly happened that the dive was aborted?

FWIW, I got certified 11 months ago and I've been loving the sport since I got my own gear and found some *reliable* dive buddies. I've spent a lot of time at BHB working on my buoyancy, trim, air consumption, gear configuration, etc. I see you are in Palm Bay which is a bit north. How flexible is your schedule? Can you make it down to BHB for a night dive? If you can, I'll meet you and dive with you. We can talk about buoyancy, trim, air consumption, gear, navigation, and then put it into practice. BHB is a shore dive, so if you have gear, it will only cost the rental of a tank (or air fill) and gas to drive. I have extra lights if you don't have any (tank, flag, primary, and backup).

Chrisandcoral.jpg

This is how viz looked at 80ft. It was no more than 10 ft at the surface. I had my flashlight out to get a better view in the reef.

I was on little deeper out of Riviera Beach on Sunday. The boat was mostly students doing there cert dive with a few people tagging along like me. I am not sure what reef we dropped on but it was at about 45' and took about 45 minutes to get to it. My first dive got called as I was the buddy for my girlfriend for her cert dive and after she got in the water and started down she called it and I stayed with her to get picked back up by the boat. The 2nd dive was called because the instructor did not feel it would be safe given the conditions (getting off and on the boat and they said the viz was about 4 feet on dive one). Nobody on the boat tried to argue and at that point my GF was seasick so not having her bouncing around the ocean for another 2 hours I was not going to argue to stay out there.

Thanks on the offers I have 5 post cert dives so far 4 off little deeper and 1 BHB dive. I have all my own gear to include tanks. I am working on air consumption my steel 100s I am still only getting ~45 minutes on 60 foot reef dives. This year two of my three kids also got certified and they have all the gear to so I have people some buddies as long as I pay for it all. :) We are actually going to a BHB on Sat morning for my GF to finally complete her cert. My two kids and I will dive separate from her and the instructor to get some water time. I am out of town next week but I will check with you when I get back. I am enjoying it to just can be frustrating. Give me good viz and tolerable temps and I am happy.

I went out of wpb on Sunday with Wet Temptations. It was a pretty big boat, but they got us in and out the water pretty efficiently. It wasn't my favorite boat, Kyalami with Capt Sl8r is. Viz was crap and free divers made us divert to a different location, but we dove. Once we got to depth, viz was a little better. Tons of jellies at the surface. We did South Doubles and Mid Reef, neither was a spectacular dive and I rank the reefs as the weakest I've done, but at least I was diving. There was a strong surface current at South Doubles, it was pulling my SMB at a 45 degree angle during my safety stop.

What boat did you go on, where did it take you, and what exactly happened that the dive was aborted?

FWIW, I got certified 11 months ago and I've been loving the sport since I got my own gear and found some *reliable* dive buddies. I've spent a lot of time at BHB working on my buoyancy, trim, air consumption, gear configuration, etc. I see you are in Palm Bay which is a bit north. How flexible is your schedule? Can you make it down to BHB for a night dive? If you can, I'll meet you and dive with you. We can talk about buoyancy, trim, air consumption, gear, navigation, and then put it into practice. BHB is a shore dive, so if you have gear, it will only cost the rental of a tank (or air fill) and gas to drive. I have extra lights if you don't have any (tank, flag, primary, and backup).

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 01:07 PM ----------

Buddy of mine went out off Boynton yesterday and reported 50' viz but 3-4'seas with chop. I'm there tomorrow, hoping for better.

That would be good as long as my lavacore can keep me down ~40 minutes I am good with what you described. The guys on my boat on Sunday said viz was 4'...

How about the temp at depth Chen.

I believe I had 74.

---------- Post added August 21st, 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

I was on little deeper out of Riviera Beach on Sunday. The boat was mostly students doing there cert dive with a few people tagging along like me. I am not sure what reef we dropped on but it was at about 45' and took about 45 minutes to get to it. My first dive got called as I was the buddy for my girlfriend for her cert dive and after she got in the water and started down she called it and I stayed with her to get picked back up by the boat. The 2nd dive was called because the instructor did not feel it would be safe given the conditions (getting off and on the boat and they said the viz was about 4 feet on dive one). Nobody on the boat tried to argue and at that point my GF was seasick so not having her bouncing around the ocean for another 2 hours I was not going to argue to stay out there.

Thanks on the offers I have 5 post cert dives so far 4 off little deeper and 1 BHB dive. I have all my own gear to include tanks. I am working on air consumption my steel 100s I am still only getting ~45 minutes on 60 foot reef dives. This year two of my three kids also got certified and they have all the gear to so I have people some buddies as long as I pay for it all. :) We are actually going to a BHB on Sat morning for my GF to finally complete her cert. My two kids and I will dive separate from her and the instructor to get some water time. I am out of town next week but I will check with you when I get back. I am enjoying it to just can be frustrating. Give me good viz and tolerable temps and I am happy.

Oh wow, you got a house full of divers! It's been a crappy year for all kinds of sports. There has been a LOT of rain this year. I usually break out my carbon fiber road bike during the spring and ride 3-4 times a week and I think i got 5 rides in total. It just rained or threatened rain every day.

Don't sweat it, you've already got a HUGE investment into diving. Now you just need to get some more experience and confidence as a group and you call your own shots. At the surface 15' away from my dive buddy, they were just a dark shadow. My dive buddy was taking a picture of a jelly on entry and I was descending. It was a little stressful because I couldn't tell what they were doing. Once my buddy got closer and we got down, we were good to go. Viz fluctuates with the depth, currents, and temperatures. You have to expect that a class is going to be more safety conscience and you probably didn't have to call your dive, but it wouldn't have been wise to go alone.

My lds just asked me if I wanted to dive Fri night on little deeper for some Goliath Groupers. I haven't been on that boat yet, how'd you like the crew and boat?

My lds just asked me if I wanted to dive Fri night on little deeper for some Goliath Groupers. I haven't been on that boat yet, how'd you like the crew and boat?

I like the boat but I have only been on 3 2 tank dives and all have been on that boat and all Sunday mornings. My cert dive, my son's cert dive, and my BIL's cert dive. :) The instructor we use prefers that boat I assume as it is the one he uses all the time. It is a 20 diver boat and I consider full service but nothing to compare with. You dump your gear at the curb and they load it and unload it. They put a DM in the water with the flag and you can follow the DM if you want. Hope you have a good time.

How has it been and what is Sunday looking like?

I got my girlfriend ready to try a boat dive again on Sunday and hoping for good conditions.

Last time / first time was awful for her....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sunday
northeast winds 6 to 11 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet.
Intracoastal waters light chop. A slight chance of
thunderstorms.

[size=+1]sunday night through tuesday[/size]
east northeast winds 11 to
16 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.
A slight chance of thunderstorms.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom