FYI Peter Hughes' New Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calinectes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm booked on Peter Hughes in Nov. and just recieved this bit of info..........

Peter Hughes Diving, Inc. is updating our mandatory safety policy for divers traveling on our live-aboards effective December 1, 2006. Since you have made a reservation that is scheduled to travel with us after this date we wanted to personally inform you to make sure you are aware of the new requirements.

Beginning December 1, 2006, each diver will be required to bring and dive with the personal safety devices listed below on every dive conducted from a dancer fleet vessel:

* A Dive Alert

This is an air powered surface signaling device that transmits a loud noise over distances much further than you can shout or whistle. It is powered by the air from your tank.

* Inflatable Safety Sausage (Surface Marker Buoy)

This device can be inflated using your alternate air source or your lungs. It raises a bright orange or yellow tube approximately six feet above your head. Waving this while on the surface greatly increases your visibility to the crew on your vessel or tender. The safety sausage may be carried in your BC pocket or tethered to your BC.

* Mini-Strobe

When activated, this compact marker strobe flashes a light at regular intervals. It is a good way to indicate your position on the surface during dusk or night dives to the vessel or tender.

In keeping ahead of changing industry "standards", we believe that each of these devices individually are essential for live-aboard divers.

If you do not already own your own surface safety equipment, we strongly encourage you to visit your local dive store to purchase them prior to commencing your Dancer Fleet voyage. You should be able to obtain all three items for under us$150. By visiting your local professional dive center you can ensure that all of the pieces are properly integrated into your personal dive equipment. The Dive Alert comes in 3 models (one of which should match your inflator system configuration.)

If you can practice with your new equipment before coming on the trip, excellent. If that's not practical, we will certainly help you familiarize yourself with the new equipment during your warm up dive and briefing.

Divers who do not have this required equipment will not be allowed to dive from a Dancer Fleet vessel. We will maintain a limited inventory on each vessel for rental but we strongly encourage you to get your own, and be familiar with it, as all of our divers and staff do.

A “Surface Safety Package” that includes all three items will rent for $30 on a 7 night trip and $53 for a 10 night trip (excluding any taxes).

Previously most of this equipment has been required on our vessels already. This new policy change now makes it mandatory on every vessel and implements a modest rental charge for guests who arrive without the equipment.

Safety is always our top concern at Peter Hughes Diving, Inc. and the Dancer Fleet. This new policy ensures that every diver will enter/exit the water with the best possible tools for coping with an unforeseen emergency.

We thank you for your cooperation and look forward to seeing you on board!

Please dive ocean minded,

Larry speaker

Executive vice president

Peter Hughes Diving, Inc

5723 NW 158th Street

Miami Lakes, FL 33014

(305) 669-9391 or (800) 932- 6237

Fax (305) 669-9475

Larry@peterhughes.com

www.peterhughes.com

This is also now listed on their website info pages. I just assumed it was for their more challenging destinations as opposed to their Caribbean. It's now a rule on all of their boats.

I already have all these safety devices and think it's a good idea to require them on Live-aboards.

Tim

that is smart of them.. makes more sense than a medical questionaire for an operator to interpret.

The Stardancer and the FeBrina have done this for a long time. My first trip (six years ago?) they were required. Recently, they were not making as big an issue of it. I'm glad they are re enforcing this policy.

Mike S, you are referring (I guess) to decisions made by ONE captain of the fleet, not the whole corporation. Please do not "tar and feather" other good captains of the fleet.
Does YOUR favorite dive boat have this equipment requirement? If not, does that automatically make him a dangerous captain?

we need to push for this with our operators. the SMB at least.

Allison Finch:
Mike S, you are referring (I guess) to decisions made by ONE captain of the fleet, not the whole corporation. Please do not "tar and feather" other good captains of the fleet.
The other captains might be good, but the way the corporation handled that incident reflect badly and the whole operation.

FWIW, I'd never consider going on any of their boats.

The Nautilus Explorer requires a dive alert and recommends a safety sausage.

Do they make Dive alerts for Halcyon BP/Ws?
Not that I'd ever go on a Peters Hughes cruise. Just wondering if the horns come in a size for the Halcyon inflator.

scubamickey:
Do they make Dive alerts for Halcyon BP/Ws?
Not that I'd ever go on a Peters Hughes cruise. Just wondering if the horns come in a size for the Halcyon inflator.

Yes, I have one that fits my Halcyon Eclipse that I used to use on my Zeagle (its the standard LP hose fitting).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom