FYI Peter Hughes' New Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveborg:
Are you telling us that you don't already own a surface audible signaling device (dive alert or the equivalent) and a safety sausage?
No. I'm telling you it's wrong to change the rules after the fact.

While I agree that safety gear is a good thing, has anyone on the board successfully used an audible alert when it's actually needed? i.e. Far enough from the boat they wouldn't have noticed you in sea and wind conditions that make the boat visible to the diver less than 50% of the time?

There are better solutions available at similar or slightly higher cost than a screamer that may or may not work at the tank pressures available at the end of an O.S. dive.

FT

Walter:
No. I'm telling you it's wrong to change the rules after the fact.
That I can agree with. You do have a dive alert and safety sausage though, right?

A better system, that works even when the wind blows and the sun don't shine. There are several manufacturers worldwide. Please be aware that a 121.5MHz will not initiate a USCG SAR event and the dive boat has to be equipped with units to recieve and locate the beacon. To automaticly kick off a USCG search you need an EPIRB broadcasting on 406MHz. EPIRBs will also broadcast on the short range 121.5MHz band to allow the rescuers to find you quickly and can also include a GPS location in the broadcast message. A true "fetch me stick"! Even better to carry a lifeboat dye pack in the case. Nothing like being in the middle of an acre of flourescent green water to catch the eye of the boat or helo driver.

http://www.seamarshall.com/plb8ld.html

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Pains+Wessex.html

FT

I just found out that the new policy will not be enforced on the particular cruise I'm on. It will go into effect Dec. 1.

BTW.... I do have said safety equipment (except the strobe). I only posted as an item of interest.

SMB - Absolutely, shouldn't do an ocean dive without one.
Strobe - Don't normally carry one but I can see the point, even on day dives.
Dive Alert - Not going to buy one, my whistle is darn loud. Though if they want to provide me one for the week since I'm paying $2000, I'd let then put it on my BC.

Why not a signaling mirror?

Why should any boat be expected to provide a piece of safety equipment? As far as PH's boats, I've been on several and would go again w/o reservation. DiveAlerts-used mine several times, like it, works well, I also carry a fox whistle. Sausage, strobe, mirror, cyalume all good to carry(although my pockets are getting full) . None of this weighs enough to matter and certainly should take priority in any dive bag. I have used my spool and sausage, and divealert to get the boats attention, several times.

alcina:
Just wondering if they enforce the Dive Alert. I have a very similar item but it isn't "dive alert" brand; there are several other viable surface attention getters by other manufacturers out there.

I would guess that the use of "Dive Alert" is like when people say they need a "Kleenex" or "Bandaid". Dive Alert is the more known brand and they are likely using it as a generic term for some kind of loud screamer signaling device.

We're booked on the Star Dancer in July, and I just noticed this requirement. I always carry an SMB. I understand the DiveAlert and will purchase one, but what exactly do they require in the way of a "Personal Mini Strobe." I always carry a backup light, i.e., Scout Light or Photon Torpedo, but it doesn't flash. Will that be enough for them? If not, are they talking about something like the little TekLite strobes Tektite Mark-Lite Fire Fly, 5 Flashing LED or something more substantial like the Jotron AQ-4 Personal strobe light ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom