FYI Peter Hughes' New Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're booked on the Star Dancer in July, and I just noticed this requirement. I always carry an SMB. I understand the DiveAlert and will purchase one, but what exactly do they require in the way of a "Personal Mini Strobe." I always carry a backup light, i.e., Scout Light or Photon Torpedo, but it doesn't flash. Will that be enough for them? If not, are they talking about something like the little TekLite strobes Tektite Mark-Lite Fire Fly, 5 Flashing LED or something more substantial like the Jotron AQ-4 Personal strobe light ?

That was a quality 3 year :shelli:

some of the survivors and some of the deceased family members have posted here and on other dive forums the issues and how they were treated by Peter Hughes (personally and the PH corporation).

(you can read their posts in some of the older threads about the tragedy)

Like you said, I can't imagine their pain.

It was enough for me that I won't book with them now.

I hope you have a good safe trip.

Yeah, and I'm STILL mad at the White Star Line.....

Come on folks, that is sad history, but the major players are just not that involved anymore. New owners of the corporation, new boat captains, new boat owners, new cruise operations......on and on. Time to just move on.

BTW, if White Star Lines had a new state of the art dive boat, would you book a trip?

I lost one friend on the Wave Dancer and might have lost my #1 dive buddy had my other friend not replaced her on the crew. I am angry at the way the families were treated as well. That has affected my desire to dive with the Hughes operation in the past. However, now that they are under new ownership, I'll wait and see how the operation moves forward before deciding.

As for the three required safety items, I neither own nor use any of them. However, I would certainly be willing to buy the SMB and strobe. I'd prefer to rely on my whistle rather than buy the third device.

I agree with my friend Walter that I do not feel it is appropriate to require those who have already booked future trips with them to purchase these items due to a policy change after their reservations were made.

Is that a Canadian thing?

No it is not a Canadian thing. It is known within much of SB (it may also only be a MOF thing I am not sure) as a shelli (named after the woman who started doing it often). When a person posts in an old thread to revive it, the act has become known to many here as a shelli (hence the smilie : shelli : - without the spaces of course). Sorry, there was offence intended....

isn't a :shelli: when someone makes a post that kills a thread for a long period?

like in "Dang Steve, you just shellied that thread!"

In this case, DiveMaven being the one who shellied the thread 3 yrs ago.

Not sure anymore since it all started in the dark ages and I've been... away for a whhhile.

It could be.....it was explained to me the way I explained it but it is very old so it may be that a lot has been lost in translation.

isn't a :shelli: when someone makes a post that kills a thread for a long period?

That's what I was thinking..... but I figured out with Steve's post what I think he was trying to say. (digging up an old thread.) but in this case I think it was ok as it was a valid question by the new poster...

It could be.....it was explained to me the way I explained it but it is very old so it may be that a lot has been lost in translation.

I'll translate it to Canadian for you... :D

isn't a :shelli: when someone makes a post that kills a thread for a long period, eh?

:hmmm: OK I have been schooled (and in Canadian even :wink:) so thus endeth the :hijack:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom