FYI Peter Hughes' New Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was on a PH boat earlier this month. We never had an equipment check and am quite sure several divers did not have Dive Alerts though a couple had whistles. As for signal mirrors and strobes, seriously doubt if half the divers carried them on day dives.

Not to marginalize the value of carrying the equipment noted in the PH list, IMHO, the requirement is more of a CYA for PH. You have a problem and weren't carrying the safety gear they require, don't make any claims to PH's that they were not looking out for your safety.

well Peter Hughes boats aren't owned by him, or his corporation. It's just a "shell" company that operates bookings.

they are all "sub contracted" boats that are "Franchised" out and owned by others...

you will find they all have different levels of Quality in following their procedures because of this and different safety rules.

This is one of the reasons, that has been proven in the past by tragedy, that I will not get on one of their boats.

well Peter Hughes boats aren't owned by him, or his corporation. It's just a "shell" company that operates bookings.

they are all "sub contracted" boats that are "Franchised" out and owned by others...

you will find they all have different levels of Quality in following their procedures because of this and different safety rules.

This is one of the reasons, that has been proven in the past by tragedy, that I will not get on one of their boats.

Actually, Peter Hughes, the corp, not the individual, have partial ownership of a number of the boats including the Star Dancer. Aggressor has the same arrangement. I do think an owner/operator, such as Craig Dewitt/Golden Dawn, is preferable. But blanket statments about the quality or safety of franchise operations just aren't that meaningful to me.

Actually, Peter Hughes, the corp, not the individual, have partial ownership of a number of the boats including the Star Dancer. Aggressor has the same arrangement. I do think an owner/operator, such as Craig Dewitt/Golden Dawn, is preferable. But blanket statments about the quality or safety of franchise operations just aren't that meaningful to me.

Actually, Aggressor Corp bought Peter Hughes Corp last year. Peter Hughes the person was retained as a consultant on Pacific operations only. Boats all still have the PH name but belong to the Agressor Fleet.

nope, Aggressor did not buy PH. Someone bought Aggressor, then the same party bought PH.

nope, Aggressor did not buy PH. Someone bought Aggressor, then the same party bought PH.

Wayne Brown is his name. Apparently, he made his fortune owning a string of Taco Bell restaurants. Wayne Hasson continues to run the Aggressor Fleet. Peter Hughes continues to run Peter Hughes. Peter Hughes, the corporation, continues to have ownership interests in certain boats. Not sure about Aggressor but I think the situation is the same.

If you would like me to point out something more specific about their boats quality issues, consider reading the IMMARBE Report on the Peter Hughes Wave Dancer. It points out several safety/quality issues with their operation.

17 passengers and 3 crew members lost their lives. Partly due to the way the boat was handled in a storm.

In many folks opinion, if Peter Hughes is going to stamp his name on the side of the boat, then he should hold them to higher standards.

How he handled(snubbed) the survivors and the deceased (and their family) after the accident regardless of who owned the boat is enough that I will never book a trip with them.

How he handled(snubbed) the survivors and the deceased (and their family) after the accident regardless of who owned the boat is enough that I will never book a trip with them.

Is there any truth to the story that at least some of the people who had already paid for a later trip on the same boat lost some or all of their money (unless their trip insurance happened to cover it)?

Is there any truth to the story that at least some of the people who had already paid for a later trip on the same boat lost some or all of their money (unless their trip insurance happened to cover it)?

I don't know about that.... I had heard that also, but no way to really confirm it unless someone who was booked on a future trip posted it somewhere...

I do know that Peter Hughes did not refund the survivors for the victim's families for the trip that they didn't get to complete. However, Aggressor Fleet, who did not suffer any casualties, gave everyone on their boat a full refund. Just goes to show the difference between the two operations. (at the time)

If you would like me to point out something more specific about their boats quality issues, consider reading the IMMARBE Report on the Peter Hughes Wave Dancer. It points out several safety/quality issues with their operation.

17 passengers and 3 crew members lost their lives. Partly due to the way the boat was handled in a storm.

In many folks opinion, if Peter Hughes is going to stamp his name on the side of the boat, then he should hold them to higher standards.

I've read the report. I think anyone who has been diving more than a few years has. The problem I have is making the link between the report and "their operation," by which I assume you mean all Peter Hughes boats. The problem, as you raised, is that the Wave Dancer was a "franchise" operation. The safety problems on that boat don't tell me anything about the condition and preparedness of other boats.

I think there are two generally relevant lessons in the report. First, an inexperienced captain can kill people. Second, a captain who doesn't feel he can make necessary decisions on his own is a danger. In light of these two lessons, if I could, I would only book on boats that are owned by their captains--assuming experience and a good reputation. The problem is that, in the places I want to go, most boats are not captained by their owners. In remote locations, there are relatively few such operations, and sometimes the itineraries and schedules of those few operations just don't work for me. So rather than avoiding those locations, I try to look at the others' experiences on those boats. I've found that to be the most useful, though hardly foolproof, approach.

As to Peter Hughes, I know some people are furious with them over the way the Wave Dancers' survivors and family members were treated. I don't really know just what happened. There is no authoritative report on this the way there is on the accident itself. There are only the views of those affected by that treatment. I imagine that if I were the family member of someone killed by the negligence of the boat's captain and owners, I would want their heads on a pike. I can't even imagine their pain.

However, having said this, if I were to die on a dive trip, I would expect any operation's owners to stonewall, obfuscate, rely upon their extorted waivers and blame me for my death--if they thought it was in their corporate interest to do so. Corporations are by definition amoral, driven by profit, not by any desire to do the right thing. So while I appreciate the views of those who say they would never dive with any Peter Hughes operation, that's not my view. If a particular boat has a good reputation and gets good reviews, I'll consider it if it otherwise meets my needs.

I'll report back after our July trip to let everyone know whether this was a good or bad decision in the case of the Star Dancer.

As to Peter Hughes, I know some people are furious with them over the way the Wave Dancers' survivors and family members were treated. I don't really know just what happened. There is no authoritative report on this the way there is on the accident itself. There are only the views of those affected by that treatment. I imagine that if I were the family member of someone killed by the negligence of the boat's captain and owners, I would want their heads on a pike. I can't even imagine their pain.

some of the survivors and some of the deceased family members have posted here and on other dive forums the issues and how they were treated by Peter Hughes (personally and the PH corporation).

(you can read their posts in some of the older threads about the tragedy)

Like you said, I can't imagine their pain.

It was enough for me that I won't book with them now.

I'll report back after our July trip to let everyone know whether this was a good or bad decision in the case of the Star Dancer.

I hope you have a good safe trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom