G10/YS-110a issue ... am I too stupid to own a camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would kickup the flash output settings from the camera to Maximum. It could be that there is insufficient light going up the cable to trigger the flash. You said that TTL works in auto but I'm not sure if you tried TTL when the camera is in manual mode. There is a link on the Sea&Sea manufacturers sub-forum on TTL and you may want to read that. From my reading, it indicates that most cameras use a TTL flash mode so it should work with your camera. I would also post your question on the Sea&Sea manufacturers web site to see if the Sea&Sea rep can shed some light on this issue. Here is a link to that site: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sea-sea/.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill ... I'll go check out the site.

Aggravating thing is that this morning before I left for work, I test-fired the thing several times ... all successful ... on the exact same settings it wouldn't fire with underwater last night.

The more thought I put into this, the more I'm convinced that there's something in the menus I'm overlooking. I've read the manual several times ... but honestly (and as someone who'd been writing manuals since 1977) it's poorly written, confusing, and incomplete.

It's like reading a manual on an alarm clock that goes into excrutiating detail on how the clock works ... but doesn't tell you how to set the alarm ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok, so it's not the simple answer--the cable. I'm using a G10 w/ a YS110A and have the camera flash output on minimal--no probs. Works in P,Auto, A,S, Manual--whatever so this isn't a mode settings issue (and yes, selecting the lightning bolt when in M is "forced flash"). I leave the flash on Manual 2 & Slave, works w/or w/out aim light on, on macro or distant shots.

I'm not saying "So nanner, nanner...", just assuring you the setup should work, there isn't some quirky Canon or S&S design flaw. I know that won't make you feel better if your setup is still messing up, especially if the stobe has already been replaced. If the Canon flash fires at all it's sort of hard to blame the camera, especially if it works w/ your other strobe.

If you fire the camera directly at the 110A w/ no cable plugged in, will it fire consistently or not? If yes it might still be a cable that for some reason delivers enough light to trigger the YS-25 but not the 110A. (I'm using the thin FO cable btw, nothing fancy Newegg.com - Rosewill RCW-H9001 6 ft. Toslink Optical Cable M-M - Audio Video Cables ) If the 110A won't fire w/ the G10 will it fire w/ the YS-25 aimed at slave socket? That would help eliminate the camera as a problem and if the 110A is erratic in firing then it's erratic, 2d new one or not. Gotta be a bummer though. Let's hope that eventually it's as simple as the battery terminal problem was! // ww

Bob if it works above water and not under then you need to look for something else. This may be a condensation issue or something aint tight enough. I would be a concerned and looking for something simpler than the manual settings.

I would also suspect the camera not the flash.

I'm following this thread because I just bought a Canon G10/WP-DC28 and am considering the YS-110 alpha or the YS-27X. The reasons I would spend the extra $ on the 110 is for the focus light and wider coverage, but mostly the focus/aiming light.
The YS-27X is a manual strobe and I use M settings all the time on the camera so it may be fine.

I looked through my G10 users manual and there is no information there , that I could find, on the cameras pre-flash properties.

I am very curious as to the solution to your problem NWGratefulDiver as it may result in my strobe choice.

Having just spent 35 minutes on the phone with Puffer Fish (for which I'm very appreciative), I suspect operator error.

I won't have a chance to dive it until Saturday AM ... will let y'all know what happens. Right now it's firing consistently ... in my den.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Several weeks ago I took delivery on my new setup ... which includes a Canon G10 and a YS-110a strobe. I also have a YS-25 that I've been planning to use as a slave.

.. I'm seriously aggravated ... this isn't why I purchased a $3K+ setup ... honestly I was taking better pics with my little Casio point-n-shoot than I'm taking now.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, the photos on your web site are marvellous. Did you use your Casio point & shoot for those? I am impressed.
What did you spend $3K+ plus on?

Dang, now I'm "hanging by a thread" indeed. Anxiously awaiting the next episode! // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom