G10/YS-110a issue ... am I too stupid to own a camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Managed to get some decent shots this morning ... took a couple students down on a fun dive.

Betty.jpg

pipeboat.jpg

BettySamswing.jpg

VWBug.jpg

It's working for me ... :D

FWIW - this was in typical Puget Sound conditions ... vis was 15-20 feet with a lot of "schmutz" floating around in the water ... the pics look much better than the reality ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, amazingly little backscatter for thos conditions...

Does this mean I don't get your gear???

Bob, amazingly little backscatter for thos conditions...

Does this mean I don't get your gear???

It's workin' for me, Jim ... took this one tonight ... for reference, that's about an 8-foot long octopus underneath a boat.

Pepper-1.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok, so it's not the simple answer--the cable. I'm using a G10 w/ a YS110A and have the camera flash output on minimal--no probs. Works in P,Auto, A,S, Manual--whatever so this isn't a mode settings issue (and yes, selecting the lightning bolt when in M is "forced flash"). I leave the flash on Manual 2 & Slave, works w/or w/out aim light on, on macro or distant shots.

I just took possession of my YS-27DX for my Canon G10. I can state that there is no pre-flash on the G10 in the M mode as the 27DX does not fire with it set to pre-flash. It fires fine on the flash setting.

I attached my fiber optic cable to the housings diffuser with my old Inon Oly attachment and the DS27 will not fire with the G10's internal strobe set to its lowest power. I have to use the mid-range setting. I have no problem with that. Possibly if I re-position the fiber optic cable closer to the cameras strobe on the housing I could use the lowest power setting. I will live with this setup for now.

PS: If you are in the Philippines don't import ANYTHING. The import fees are OUTRAGEOUS. I can only imagine what I would have paid had I ordered the YS-110 alpha!

Kudos to nyxel on eBay for their pricing and fast shipping.

I just took possession of my YS-27DX for my Canon G10. I can state that there is no pre-flash on the G10 in the M mode as the 27DX does not fire with it set to pre-flash. It fires fine on the flash setting.

I attached my fiber optic cable to the housings diffuser with my old Inon Oly attachment and the DS27 will not fire with the G10's internal strobe set to its lowest power. I have to use the mid-range setting. I have no problem with that. Possibly if I re-position the fiber optic cable closer to the cameras strobe on the housing I could use the lowest power setting. I will live with this setup for now.

PS: If you are in the Philippines don't import ANYTHING. The import fees are OUTRAGEOUS. I can only imagine what I would have paid had I ordered the YS-110 alpha!

Kudos to nyxel on eBay for their pricing and fast shipping.

The preflash is a setting under menu... flash settings.

You can pick none or on second. Your choice. First would seem to save batteries, but I don't know by how much.

PF--On my G-10 under the Menu/Flash settings I see "Flash exp comp., Shutter synch: 1st curtain, 2d curtain, Slow synch: on/off and Red eye correct: on/off". None of these are really a pre-flash control on the G-10--or am I missing something here? I mean technically there isn't a pre-flash with 1st or 2d curtain synch, it's more of a millisecond delay function to time the on-board flash, especially w/ long exposures where someone wants to control whether a moving light shows a streak ahead of or behind the light source (ie:moving tailights on a night shot).

My understanding of a pre-flash mode, that many uw slave strobes have settings for, is so that p&s cameras that actually fire the on-board flash more than once in taking a shot (for red-eye or ttl exposure purposes) won't trigger the slaved strobe until it's really needed. The G-10 is a sort of a new camera for me and I'm bringing a lot of "ancient technology" baggage from film years, so feel free to point out errors! // ww

Back
Top Bottom