G250 crystal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to put in a bid and leave it. Then my youngest son explained I would always end up paying more because people would "nibble" at your bid. So now I put in the same bid, but the software submits it 5 seconds before the end. I still lose auctions, so it's not about winning.

Exactly. Almost. It IS about winning - but for the lowest price possible, and winning more often. It can be the difference between winning for my maximum bid amount (using a snipe, which helps keep the final price as low as possible) versus losing (because I put in a regular bid and someone nibbled it up until it just barely passed my max).

I once read that the eBay market is wide but not very deep. So you can buy and sell almost anything but there may only be a few bidders. Sometimes I look at an auction and think wow that went cheap, I would have bought it. Then I remember if I bid on that item I would not win at that price because I do not know what the other bids are.

For example, if Stuart is winning an item for $50 but is willing to pay $75, he wins at $50. If I enter the market and am willing to pay $60, he wins but at $61. If I bid $80 then I win but have to pay $76. So I would never get the item at $50. The moral of the story is if you don't win, it is Stuart's fault. Just kidding, but you can see what happens as more bidders enter the market.

Domestic shipping is likely to add around $15 to final bidding price. I'll post back nearer closing time and advise at what amount it's at.
Just curious...
Why go through you to buy this item instead of them just bidding on it themselves?
I don't mean any criticism, just not seeing it, what am I missing?

The best strategy for winning a auction cheap is to bid your max in the last 10 seconds. That said, you will lose about 50% because of minor distractions. Either way don't bid early and run the price up. Just the fact that you desire the item will bring in bidders that otherwise would just watch.

The best strategy for winning a auction cheap is to bid your max in the last 10 seconds. That said, you will lose about 50% because of minor distractions. Either way don't bid early and run the price up. Just the fact that you desire the item will bring in bidders that otherwise would just watch.

That's why people have swipe software that automatically bids for them. I don't have that, and I'm forgetful, so I have to set an alarm for a few minutes before the auction ends and sit there with my computer open. But I'm not buying any more regulators, ever. Okay, maybe one more D300.

Just curious...
Why go through you to buy this item instead of them just bidding on it themselves?
I don't mean any criticism, just not seeing it, what am I missing?

Short answer, it's domestic only.

Long answer:

I live in Japan with an auction account and the requisite domestic bank account. Unless you live here i.e are a resident, with bank account and/or Japanese credit card, Japanese address and phone number, can read and write kanji/Hiragana/Katakana you cannot have an account. It's domestic only, only in Japanese, it's not international like eBay. English is not widely spoken at all, in fact the vast majority of the population know no English, and I do mean the vast majority.

495D5731-680A-4D9C-B244-BAED4E89AFB8.png

B7DFD4EE-4440-44A7-88DA-E772E587F151.png

Make sense?

Last edited:
That's why people have swipe software that automatically bids for them. I don't have that, and I'm forgetful, so I have to set an alarm for a few minutes before the auction ends and sit there with my computer open. But I'm not buying any more regulators, ever. Okay, maybe one more D300.

If you really want one Matt, let me know.

it's not international like eBay.

Make sense?
Yes, now it does. I didn't know those bits of info and from the discussions about shippings and fees and policies all about eBay, it made it sound like this was on eBay, hence my confusion.
Anyway, just curious, carry on...

English is not widely spoken at all, in fact the vast majority of the population know no English, and I do mean the vast majority. Make sense?

Yes now it does. The reason the price went so high was because the other bidders were not able to read the "Spline of Shame" thread which would have deterred them from bidding. So we cannot blame Stuart for this.

In all seriousness, that was a beautiful regulator, I am surprised you did not bid on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom