Gag Reflex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats Chris! Sounds like you got things under control.

While I have not had the gag issue, I have certainly had to cough from time to time for various reasons. As long as I keep the regulator in my mouth I am fine.

Have fun.

TOM

I can't even brush my teeth without gagging, so I know what it feels like! For me, I won't gag unless it's in salt water. Any little drop of salty water can send me into a gagging frenzy. Just the water on the reg when I put it in my mouth can do it. Some things that help are just to gag several times and then regain control, or chew on the mouthpiece (it makes you think you're eating something salty, so the gag instinct goes away, at least that's my theory! :eyebrow: )

Whatever you do, if this happens at depth, just puke through your regulator!! Do not take it out of your mouth, and most of all, DO NOT BOLT! Thankfully this has never happened to me deeper than 15 feet. I just remember that gagging fits are a heck of a lot better than getting bent!

I have the opposite problem--never had gag problems (except due to long mouthpieces) underwater, but I can't hold a reg in my mouth above water worth anything without gagging.
My regs came with long bite-tabs but I was used to a Comfo-Bite mouthpiece so I went out and bought two of those. No issues since then; I would highly recommend them. :)

DO you have sinus issues? I've had that happen during a dive where something would ..errr drip, and cause me to gag a little, but nothing that sounds as bad as your experience.

My dive buddies can always tell when I surface without looking with the noise I make!

(diving is better than Mucinex!)

I have the same gagging issue you all mention. It's a lot worse at the surface than at depth. Thanks for the hints on how to desensitize that's really helpful!!! Also, how easy is to to change the mouthpiece on a reg? Is it something that can be done at home or do I need my LDS to do it?

I am new for diving, and same problem as you have-gagging. Thanks a lot for advice! Great info. Any new ideas?

Ice9:
Hmm.. When I read this, I immediately thought about how dry my throat gets after a while underwater. Anyone else think this may be the problem? I remember seeing an ad for a device that actually moistens the air a bit during a dive...

Its call a bio filter by Apollo. Distilled water is whisked in to the air which you'll be breathing. Years ago the 2nd Stages were metal which condensate under water breathing through them. With plastic on the 2nd now it doesn't condensate and with the filtered dry air your tank is filed with brings on dry mouth. The best thing Is hydrate yourself often before and after your dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom