Galapagos - Activities in Quito?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krhart

Reaction score
My mom and I are headed to the Galapagos during the first week of September. We are doing the Estrella Del Mar live aboard through Explorer Ventures, and this will be our first time there. We fly into Quito 2 days early (in case of luggage issues) and we are staying one day after the live aboard. Can anyone give me some advice on fun, interesting things to do in Quito? We are staying at the JW Marriott. Thanks!

My mom and I are headed to the Galapagos during the first week of September. We are doing the Estrella Del Mar live aboard through Explorer Ventures, and this will be our first time there. We fly into Quito 2 days early (in case of luggage issues) and we are staying one day after the live aboard. Can anyone give me some advice on fun, interesting things to do in Quito? We are staying at the JW Marriott. Thanks!

Gray Line Tours has some options. Gray Line Tours Quito

We're also staying at the JW Marriott prior to our liveaboard. Hope you have a fantastic trip!

We went to Galapagos a few years ago and spent a day in Quito. We took an interesting day trip to the Bellavista Cloud Forest Reserve out in the Ecuadorian countryside with a guide named Francisco “Pancho” Enriquez and saw the elusive Mountain Plate-billed Toucan (similar to the bird on the Fruit Loops box) as well as hundreds of hummingbirds.

In the old town of Quito we toured the fascinating Museum of Maria Augusta Urrutia (of interest to anyone that is into architecture from the 19th century) lead by a sheepish teenage guide slightly embarrassed of his English speaking skills.

We stayed @ the charming Los Alpes (very old-school European hotel, the address is Tamayo 233 y Jorge Washington near the U.S. embassy). Be warned that despite the posh neighborhood location, there is a rooster next door that crows every morning at 5AM.

Note that fog and weather often causes flight delays out of Quito; our 11:20pm Delta flight back to the States was delayed until 8am the following day!

While there are lots of things to see in Quito be aware that this beautiful town (espeically old town) is not a safe place to to just "wander around". Do not have valuables visible - even things like cell phones are targets for pick pockets and the like.

That said we did take the Gondola that goes up the mountain side (13,000'). a trip to the rain forest w/zipline tour is another good option.

We really enjoyed the 'old town' colonial area--the buildings/churches are beautiful. There are many trip operators who could arrange a daytrip for you. Check out Happygringo.com if you haven't already. Your hotel likely will have something too. Quito is a HUGE city, and driving can be difficult, so using an organized tour or a tour guide can be extremely helpful for getting around. If you want to go out of the city and do some shopping at the craft markets, you can go to Otavalo. As for crime, I think precautions taken in any major city apply here. We were a group of 6 and wandered around a little bit, although we did take taxis at night to different restaurants--we hit a ton of argentinian steakhouses--yummy! We only had 1/2 a day in Quito and I wish we would have had 2 or 3 days to see all the sights in and around the city. We enjoyed our time there.

The "Mitad del Mundo" monument, which is supposedly built on the equator, seems to be the place to visit for tourists.

The "Mitad del Mundo" monument, which is supposedly built on the equator, seems to be the place to visit for tourists.

"supposedly" being the key word.... Look for the Inti Nan Museum, about 100 yards from the "official" equator which according to local guides and the owner, and reportedly conmfirmed to be 0.00" by GPS, for the real equator. The "activities" are pretty fun, and it's well worth the trip.

I've done
Equator (twice)
Cotopaxi
Old Town
Gondola

Cotopaxi is a nice trip but a day long affair

My .02 is to just get a guide and leave the driving and details to someone else.

My group went to the Mindo Cloud Forest and did the zip line with Mindo Canopy Adventures. That company is owned by the local residents who live there. They conserve the forest and our patronage helped their economy. There is another zip line company there but they are a Costa Rican company so the money they make goes back to that country. I think it was something like $10. It was really inexpensive for the amount of time we spent. There was something like 15 zips through the jungle. It was incredible. Bring bug spray if you go. None of us did and my legs still have marks from the bites. Thank goodness another couple joined us and that woman had bug spray. I still can't believe how stupid we all were. How could be go to a rainforest and not have bug spray?:11:

QuitoAwakesatDusk.jpg

El Ejido Park, Saturday and Sundays hosts a nice, safe open air market. Just next to the Hilton Colon.

quito1.jpg

Be wary of the Ketchup scam. Check #3 on How to Avoid Travel Scams When Vacationing Overseas

BuythemAll.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom