Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not so sure they can't be upset, but I'd like to think they'd work together to get their permits in order. It is interesting that Ken's email says there is no such thing as any permit, yet the original word said tat Agg and PH had their permits. I read on the 'net that Explorer Ventures was OK, can't vouch for that. Another diver said he contacted Lammer Law and was told it was not canceled.

I'm really sorry for you and everyone else that booked, I know what it's like to anticipate a trip like this. Hopefully some emergency relief will be worked out.

All I have heard iis double hearsay through my US agent. He is going down and meeting with I think the park manager on 8/7, so maybe kow more then. I agree getting accurate news about this is extremely frustrating.

Fingers crossed
Chris

I confirmed through Explorer Ventures today that they do in fact have the proper permit. Our trip is scheduled for June 08 and they advised that anything can happen between now and then. The deal with the permits is that the "eco" permit was for land tours and "some" diving. There is also a "dive" permit which is what Explorer Ventures has. The companies who are currently not allowed to operate have the "eco" permits and they have been operating as dive only. I feel very bad for the people who are affected by this and hope the operators can work this out in a timely manner.

Well, I am very new to this thing so bare with me.

I heard about the Scuba Board from a fellow diver when diving in Maui not too long ago. And i am seriously trying to find out if some rumors that I am hearing are true.

I have heard that the GNP Galapagos National Park President has cancelled all diving in the Galapagos for all operators except for the Aggressor Fleets and the Sky Dancer.

Has anyone else heard that this is the case?

I too am booked on the Deep Blue coming up in October. We are trying to decide whether to book the flight or not. We've got the deposit on the flights but have not put the rest of the money down on the group seats. But it is not looking good. Has anyone seen any link to any news other than message boards to this effect?

I have heard about the different licensing issues. But I feel that if the GNP is willing to cancel trips while people are physically on them then there is not much trust that I have that they will do much to adhere to any obligation unless it is explicitly stated in a legal document, and then I still don't have much faith.

I am sure that in the end, like anything else, money is what will talk.

I am as concerned about the Eco system as the next person, but I am not interested in losing money because a bunch of people with very little understanding of foresight or planning have 1. Messed up and allowed the explosion of tourism to have started without control and therefore is starting to damage the eco system 2. Can't figure out how to phase out gradually without screwing people over emotionally and financially

Best wishes to all who have trips planned!

tiggerbella:
I too am booked on the Deep Blue coming up in October. We are trying to decide whether to book the flight or not.

Best wishes to all who have trips planned!

Blimey TB, we booked our flights from the UK in February - non transferable :(

Fingers crossed for a happy outcome.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have merged the third thread on the same topic. I have a request - before starting a new thread please use the SEARCH feature.
To make life easier for all of you this thread is now a sticky one

TB - Welcome to Scubaboard! Sorry it couldn't be on better terms...

All of my / EnronX's information to date has come from our tour operator in the US, Galapagos Adventures. While it is still hearsay, it is more reliable than just a rumor on Scubaboard.

We are booked for August 6th - 13th on Deep Blue and feel the same anxiety/anger about the current state of affairs. Our tour operator has recommended that each of us reach out to the various Ministries of Ecuador / Galapagos to voice our opinion. I recommend that you do the same. Just look for EnronX's post earlier, where he pasted the contact information that we received.

A bit off topic but for folks that have deposits that are paid to the boat operators/agents etc. If you have not been given assurances that you will be refunded 100% and have paid with a credit card I would call the bank issuing the card and ask about a charge back. It can be an ugly process and take some time but it is a route worth considering. And even if I was assured of a complete refund I would still be taking to them.

Ditto to Scared Silly.

Has anyone looked at other options, i.e., staying in Puerto Ayora and diving with Scuba Iguana? Yes, you won't get to Wolf/Darwin, but you can hit all the central island sites and maybe see some of the highland area. PA is a pretty neat little town, very clean, I would certainly not mind spending some time there.

Just a thought for those that already have air, etc.

Back
Top Bottom