Galapagos - Ecuadorean Presidential Decree

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fionab:
No I went through the translation and I didn't either, although I can't imagine they would have posted it if it wasn't the correct one. It did list Wolf and Darwin though and I don't suppose you go there for anything else.
There is an (M) after each dive site listed in the itinerary, as opposed to the few sites that are the land tours. I'm guessing that (M) is somehow the code for diving, even though it's not listed among the abbreviations and isn't a (B) for buceo or (S) for scuba or even (D) for dive. Maybe it's short for Marine Reserve?

So I just received an email back from the Ministry of Environment...looks like we have more emails to send!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Sir,

Sorry , but my work is not relationed with Galapagos, I suggested that send your mails directly to the following adresses belong to Galapagos National Park

rmolina@spng.org.ec
nnaula@spng.org.ec
wtapia@spng.org.ec

Regards

OSWALDO SARANGO

WaterKtn:
They are all called crucero navegable in the list of tour boats - so, that still doesn't seem to answer the question: http://www.galapagospark.org/png/interna.php?IDPAGINA=296&SECCIONPAS=Manejo%20Turístico&IDTIPOPAS=1&TIPOPAS=Galápagos
I think this is the relevant language:

"Se mantienen los cruceros combinados (Buceo y tierra) de embarcaciones que hayan obtenido sus patentes de este tipo de operación turística antes de la expedición de la ley.

Perhaps the Aggressors and Sky Dancer are grandfathered in?

Mossman:
"Se mantienen los cruceros combinados (Buceo y tierra) de embarcaciones que hayan obtenido sus patentes de este tipo de operación turística antes de la expedición de la ley.

Perhaps the Aggressors and Sky Dancer are grandfathered in?

Mossman, what does "grandfathered in" mean.

Looking at the itineraries listing both Sky Dancer and Deep Blue have the same category of Operation - Navigable cruise A

EDIT. Reading the PNG site I think the Navigable cruise A just means the type of boat not the itineraries

I read that Mossman, but it just says they have boats are set up to dive and land tour - and then that they got their permits for this type of operation. So then I looked at PH's permit to see what language looked like, and it doesn't say what type of operation, except the crucero navegable A - so I feel like it goes in circles. I'm just trying to figure out here if what was posted somewhere is true - that there isn't actually a permit that specifically says "you can provide scuba diving services." As it stands, I've been informed that Deep Blue is going to try to provide "naturalist tours" as a substitute. So they are permitted to tour the islands, just not provide scuba diving - I'm just curious as to what about the permit PH showed that it could provide scuba diving.

I'm sure trying to figure this out is a futile effort. I'm just waiting for my official cancellation notice so I can make other plans.

Fiona, "Grandfathered in" means that when someone has been doing something for a very long time, and subsequently, laws are made regulating or banning it, the people who have been doing the regulated activity for a really long time argue that they shouldn't be regulated or prohibited because it would be unfair since they depend on the activity in some way. So the law will "grandfather" them - exempting them from the new laws or regulation based on their historical use or behavior.

@Mossman thats bad news only 7 day trips allowed from next year,was planning to go next September on 10 day trip(not that i worked out how am going to pay for it yet)

Did notice this year no 10 day trips in September and thought anyway that all boats would be full by now anyway.

Getting back to main subject the problems at the moment are really crazy and even if permits or what ever are not in place properly with operators,they should be told that in months time that all permits should be in place by operators,to just cause trips to be cancelled is not the way or fair on all those concerned,meaning paying divers and the amount of planning which goes into these trips and not forgeting the finance.

I hope so much that no fellow diver here loses out and everything is crossed for you all.

Also looking at the ph permit-it looks like it ends in jan of '08. So how hard are they going to make getting a new one?

WaterKtn:
Fiona, "Grandfathered in" means that when someone has been doing something for a very long time, and subsequently, laws are made regulating or banning it, the people who have been doing the regulated activity for a really long time argue that they shouldn't be regulated or prohibited because it would be unfair since they depend on the activity in some way. So the law will "grandfather" them - exempting them from the new laws or regulation based on their historical use or behavior.
In this case, to paraphrase the law if my Spanish is close enough to correct, boats that did land and diving excursions under their crucero navegable license prior to the enacting of the recent regulation (2003?) are able to continue doing so. Were the other boats in question doing land/diving tours under a crucero navegable license as long as the Aggressors and Sky Dancer? If not, they needed to obtain the proper diving license.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom