Galapagos HD Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MN Lakeman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from an unforgettable week aboard the Humboldt Explorer, shooting HD video scenes of Galapagos sea life. Mr Big eluded us, but boy did the Hammers give us a show. Vid Camera: HD Sony 550CX, Housing: Amphibico, Editting software: HD Pinnacle Studio. DM's even commented on unusually low vis on most days - bummer, but I made do. My only gripe on this new rig is that the Amphibico controls take brute force to engage - I literally had a bruise on the underside of my right wrist & sore tendons by the end of trip.:depressed:

YouTube - Galapagos Islands Diving 2011 HD

...and as always with YouTube, move the default 360p up to 720p for HD in the lower viewing pane.

Man! Those are amazing sights...
That shot with the shadows of hammerheads on top of you in silhouette... just eerie..
Awesome video, i like your editing, and how you try to frame your subjects as close as possible.
It's a shame your white balance got "unbalanced" for a while there (or is that a filter? on purpose?)

Anyway great stuff, that place looks amazing

Nice close up shots of the eagle ray and stingray. Hammerheads always look amazing too!
The video looks like you weren't fighting much of a current....was that so? Maybe influenced the visibility?
Would love to get there one day!

Wow, simply wow!!!! Thanks for an amazing experience!

Yes, the viz was HORRIBLE & I fought w/ the auto focus sometimes, to get it on the subject, not the crap in the water column. I finally began using the manual focus button on the housing, which works pretty slick - once the auto-focus had correctly found the subject, I'd hit the button & it would stay. I just had to remember to hit it again & return to auto when I was ready to shoot something else. Quite a challenge contending with the currents & keeping all the camera operations in synch. I realize now looking back, that I should have manual white balanced more often, but in the end, with 550 files to weed through, I had no prob throwing out the duds.

Thanks for a fun video. Lots of sharks, rays and huge schools of fish.

Did you use a video light? Video is very clear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom