I need a video editing program with a working stabilizer tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stilldivin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been using Pinnacle for years. Currently I use Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate ver. 15. It looks like it's the last version they will make because they were bought by Avid. I can't download a trial of Avid Studio because they tell me both programs will not run on the same computer. I use Windows 7.
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced program with a working stabilizer tool? Has anyone tried Avid Studio and does it have one? By the way, YouTube's stabilizer tool works great. The only problem is you must use their "annotation" tool to add titles, etc. and it's a bit basic. If you use your editing software and then use YouTube's stabilizer tool (the one that says; "your video is shaky, should we fix that?" ) It make the titles wiggle all over the place, but it smoothes out the video. I see Fry's has Sony Movie Studio Platinum, Cyberlink Director 10 Deluxe, and Nero 11 Multimedia Suite. do any of these have this feature and are they any good?

I'm not sure where you're getting that idea since Avid bought Pinnacle somewhere around version 12.
Plus they're currently selling version 16 on their website: http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/

Sony Movie Studio Platinum above version 11 has image stabilization. I think the current release is v12 so v11 was on-sale on Amazon for around $26 recently - now it's back up to $40.

If you want to try one of the Sony products - either Movie Studio Platinum or Vegas Pro, there's a free trial version of all their products available:
Sony Creative Software - Download: Trials and Demos

That's strange; they told me by e-mail that Pinnacle is now Avid. Also, I have ver. 12 and the stabilizer tool does not work. I went to their forum and many others have noticed this same problem with this version and previous ones. Interesting you suggested Sony. I just got it. It's a good video production program that has many tools including a working "shaky camera" or stabilizing tool. It also comes with 360 music selections. It's far superior to Pinnnacle. It's on sale at Fry's right now for free after rebates, and will made Blu-ray DVD's and 3D projects. It's Sony's Vegas Studio HD Platinum ver. 11. Normally is $99.99. On sale at Fry's for $69.99 with $70.00 in rebates.

For those of you thinking of getting a video editing program, I must admit Pinnacle has a easier user interface. Of course this may be true because I've used it for years. They are also not out of business as indicated above; they were bought by Avid. I had ver. 15, they are now selling ver. 16. I have no idea if the image stabilizing tool works in ver.16. What can be done, is make the project using Pinnacle. Then if you want to use the stabilizing tool, import it to Sony. You can't make a Sony project and import it to Pinnacle. I got the Sony program for free, so I'm only out the tax if I decide not to use it. Sony is a good program with many tools, and if using it for the first time, it may be fine.

For those of you thinking of getting a video editing program, I must admit Pinnacle has a easier user interface. Of course this may be true because I've used it for years. They are also not out of business as indicated above; they were bought by Avid. I had ver. 15, they are now selling ver. 16. I have no idea if the image stabilizing tool works in ver.16. What can be done, is make the project using Pinnacle. Then if you want to use the stabilizing tool, import it to Sony. You can't make a Sony project and import it to Pinnacle. I got the Sony program for free, so I'm only out the tax if I decide not to use it. Sony is a good program with many tools, and if using it for the first time, it may be fine.
I am a Sony Vegas Pro user, I have version 11.
I think you will find Vegas far easier to learn and to use effectively, then the other video editing programs...the worst( most ridiculous to learn and work effectively with) is Adobe Premiere, which I also have on my wife's Mac.
You can also download a 30 day full featured trial of Vegas Pro, if there are any features missing that you want on the light version you started with. I think Vegas Pro 11 is almost as easy to start with as the least expensive home studio version.

I will suggest that a better plan for stabilizing underwater video, than software, is to have your camera mounted on something long and as heavy as possible... I use a big Gavin Scooter to mount my camera on....but even without going to extremes like this, a go pro user can mount to a pvc pole that they weighted ( both air inside and weight..inertial mass is good, but you want the whole system dead neutral in the water)

On a mac iMovie has both a stabiliser and a tool for rolling stutter for CMOS cameras that is quite effective
however there is no way to stabilise footage that is too shaky, the secret is to have a semineutral rig and good handle with rubber that is shock absorbent and of course great buoyancy and diving skills

I recently bought Sony Vegas Pro Studio HD Platinum, which was free after the rebates. I find it much harder to use than Pinnacle, though admit the stabiler tool they have does work better, but still not as good as YouTube's. It does come with a lot of royalty free music, which is handy. I know it's better to use a tripod or some other way of keeping the camera steady, and most of the time I do keep it steady. I have it mounted on my scooter. I don't video while running the scooter, but there is often surge and it's hard to hold the camera and light still. I've retried Pinnacle's stabilizer tool, trying different setting, and it's working a little.
I know Prodad has one, but for $150.00 to $249.00, it's way too expensive. I'm still waiting to see if ver. 16 solved the problem. I want to continue to be a loyal Pinnacle user.

---------- Post Merged on September 9th, 2012 at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was on September 8th, 2012 at 08:45 AM ----------

One of my dive buddies has Pinnacle ver. 16 and the stabilizer tool works the same as ver. 15 as far as we can tell.

I'm still waiting for an answer about where I can buy a stabilizer tool plug in for my Pinnacle Studio HD Ultimate ver. 15 program. I continue to use YouTube's, but would really like my own.

I use Nero 12 and I'm very happy with it. I've been using Final Cut Pro at work for many years, and Nero is the closest thing I have found for home use. Nero 12 Platinum has a stabilizer. I haven't used it yet, but if you google it you'll see some examples of other people's work. Another option, albeit clumsy, is to upload your video to YouTube, let them stabilize it, and then download it again using Keepvid.com But if you want to stabilize a lot of clips, that's probably too much trouble. You can download Nero 12 demo for free and try it for 30 days.

Of course it is always much better to ensure stability when shooting rather than try to clean it up in post. I learned that lesson through experience.

When I started editing HD footage I initially continued on with Adobe Premiere since I'd used it (ver 6.0) for SD video (and still do). Found later versions of Premiere were sluggish and had bugs so I switched to Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum which I use exclusively for HD editing now. I'll have to test its image stabilization with some of my early footage.

Back
Top Bottom