Galapagos Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinetree

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I'm planning a diving trip to the Galapagos, next November.
However, recently, the NOAA oficially declared this year an 'El Niño' year.
Do any of you, seasoned travellers, know of any site(s) where one can monitor the impact of 'El Niño' in actual diving conditions in the Galapagos Archipelago?

Any help greatly appreciated

Best regards

João Pinheiro

I went on the Galapagos Agressor in June and was also concerned about El Nino. I asked for trip reports from the Aggressor Fleet before my trip and they were great at getting back to me with bi-weekly trip reports. I asked specifically about El Nino factors.

For El Nino itself check out http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/tao/elnino/nino-home.html

If El Nino is strong, expect the colder-critters (schooling hammerheads etc.) to be deeper.

This is the best site I've found for tracking world water temps----> http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/dhw_news.html

The NOAA El Nino site has good info on the history & explanation of the phenomenon, but it's not very clear as to exact, current water temps at specific locations.

As you can see, things are looking very good for the Galapagos.

I've been twice & it's fabulous diving for the skilled & confident diver. You should love it.

Lucky you.

Tell us all about it when you return.

DocVikingo

Yep me too already booked for my trip to the Galapagos Sept 10 2003

Can't wait

Book early as the boats fill up quickly i had to block our dates for the whole boat quite a while back

Gaz

Back
Top Bottom