Galileo G2 too short NDL on 2° dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks you all for your replies!
Meanwhile i got a reply also from a Italian scubapro technician stating that:
this behaviour is normal as the Galileo G2 is Buehlman ZHL16 while the Terra uses ZLH8 and this results in such a big difference of 9 min bottom time is correct.
My Suunto Eon Steel has their Fused RGBM algorithm and shows the same difference after at least 1:20 surface interval showing "only" 7 minutes longer NDL @ the second dive than the G2.

9 Minutes difference of NDL on a 100ft dive is half of the NDL a older computer alowing and that is substantial difference.
I am a overweight and not very sporty dive instructor with more than 3500 dives and all done with Suunto computers and i never ever had any issue,
even diving 3-5 times a week 100-140 ft deep and the other dives are between 40 and 90 ft for 400-500 dives a year.

I appreciate any news and new developments regarding diving safety (like the Deepstop stuff) but cutting down NDL after a long Surface interval of 90 min to half is rediculus.

This short NDL also brings me in troubles as i would have to fight on al daily base with the divers of my group if i signal them to ascend after 9 minutes,
basically a few minutes after a slow descend to 100ft.

If this behaviour of the G2 is normal, then i can't recommend this computer to no one, particularly not dive guides or instructors for the above reason.
Almost any other computer could set (P1-3 or MB1-9) to a more restrective setting to do basically the same restrictive behaviour.

Chris

Were the computers at 30 meters for the complete bottom time on both dives?
Yes, both computers where side by side on my arm, set to EAN31 and both had a surface interval before the first dive of 72+ hours

The KT12 wreck rest on 31.5 meter on sand and depths where as follows
1° dive
30 -32 meter max at the propellers for 3 min
27-29 Meter above the deck for 19 min

2° dive
28-30 meters for 23 min

The Galileo Terra showed no deco while the G2 gave me already 6 min of deco

The same behaviour is shown between my Suunto Eon Steel and the Galileo G2,
that is the reason why i noticed it.

20170927 EAN31 1st Dive.PNG 20170927 EAN31 2nd Dive.PNG

Last edited:
It sounds like the difference is more pronounced than I thought. Suunto is kind of notorious for being conservative. If G2 is even more conservative than Suunto, it is disappointing to me. I'm sure there are some divers out there who will consider this to be a positive change.

All I wanted was a Galileo with a better display. Frustrating that this is not what G2 brings to the table.

Well, this is a MAJOR concern. Who can even guess how much dive time you will lose on a liveaboard or dive vacation with multiple repetitive dives daily?

I am wondering what is happening, as when beaverdivers dove it side by side with the Luna/Sol he reported virtually no difference in how they behaved over repetitive dives.

Definitely putting any decision off on this one until we know more.

Well, this is a MAJOR concern. Who can even guess how much dive time you will lose on a liveaboard or dive vacation with multiple repetitive dives daily?

I am wondering what is happening, as when beaverdivers dove it side by side with the Luna/Sol he reported virtually no difference in how they behaved over repetitive dives.

Definitely putting any decision off on this one until we know more.
I will be in the Solomon Islands next month on a liv-aboard for two weeks doing a lot of diving. I will be using my G2, Galileo Sol & M2. I will be closely monitoring the dive computers looking for differences in NDL, when I'm not enjoying the incredible marine life.

Also make sure you did the firmware update just in case they fixed a bug.
I'll be diving in Cozumel end of next month with G2 backed up by Aladin Tec 3G and will report on my findings as well.

Also make sure you did the firmware update just in case they fixed a bug.
I'll be diving in Cozumel end of next month with G2 backed up by Aladin Tec 3G and will report on my findings as well.

That should do it, look forward to your report

Yes, both computers where side by side on my arm, set to EAN31 and both had a surface interval before the first dive of 72+ hours

The KT12 wreck rest on 31.5 meter on sand and depths where as follows
1° dive
30 -32 meter max at the propellers for 3 min
27-29 Meter above the deck for 19 min

2° dive
28-30 meters for 23 min

The Galileo Terra showed no deco while the G2 gave me already 6 min of deco

The same behaviour is shown between my Suunto Eon Steel and the Galileo G2,
that is the reason why i noticed it.

View attachment 428293 View attachment 428294
Here's a quote from a G2 thread that I posted on Aug. 1:

"Just returned from diving the Oriskany, I was using the G2, Galileo Sol and M2. The no stop times were the same or within a minute of each other. The G2 was not more conservative. None of the dives were Deco dives."

The first dive was to the flight deck, 140' dive time: 37 minutes. Surface Interval = 1 hour and 11 minutes

2nd dive was exploring the tower, 122' dive time: 42 minutes

Well, i did another test today; Galileo G2 against Eon Steel, same wreck at same depth, EAN32 instead of EAN31 and same max NDL planned.
This time i activated PDIS (basically SP/Uwatec name for DeepStops) and miracle miracle the 2° dive bottom time went normal.
The Suunto Eon Steel still gave me 2 minutes more bottom time, but this is acceptable and within the range of different dive computers/algorithm.

I undertstand that this is my fault and i apologize for this, BUT to be honest,
i was not expecting/thinking/imagine that activating PDIS / DeepStop has (such a big influence) on NDL.
I remember that all my Suuntos did not change NDL if activating/disactivating DeepStops
As far i understood DeepStop's are a optional feature what should not influence NDL, but reduce the microbubbles if the DeepStop is done.

The G2 manual can be found here and there is no information that disactivating PDIS will shorten the NDL

However, i will switch off the DeepStop feature on my Eon Steel to verify if the same behaviour will happen.

Chris

BTW: the only changes on the G2 computer on the dives of today was
EAN32 instead of EAN31
PDIS on instead of PDIS off
So there is a hypothetic possibility that the switch back to "normale" NDL was because of the EAN32 instead of EAN31, but that makes less sense

Back
Top Bottom