Galileo Sol VS Suunto D9 VS Others Which one ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

golf_bht

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am in the market for a good dive computer. My choices are Galileo Sol, Suunto D9, VR3, VRX and mares Icon HD. Which one to buy? All are good computer but which one is the best?

I am in the market for a good dive computer. My choices are Galileo Sol, Suunto D9, VR3, VRX and mares Icon HD. Which one to buy? All are good computer but which one is the best?

What kind of diving will you be doing? Best to match up your diving requirements with that of your computer. Seeing as you're intent on buying a Rolls, you should also throw the Liquivision and an IBM Mainframe into the mix too.

To be precise I just started diving few months ago. I don't know how far will my need grow. I lost my Suunto Stinger and in the market for a new computer.

I got some advice from my friends that dive equipment is a life support device, so don't compromise. I guess all dive com are similar in a way.
Yes Liquivision is on my list too. just have to do more homework

Within your original list, Suunto D9. What kind of diving are you going to be doing? A VR3 is a tech computer, it's absurd to buy one until after you are tech certified. May I ask why the Oceanic OC1 is not on your list?

You may want to also consider an Oceanic OC1 which is in the same general price and feature range.

I am not familiar with all the models, but I have dived with Oceanic and Uwatec, and have been using a Sol for the past couple of years. I like the large display, ability to download dives using IR (no USB cables), software is very good for my needs, batteries in unit and transmitter can be changed by user. I also have a second sending unit on my pony bottle. By far the most useful and best dive computer I have owned.

For underwater photographers this is a great unit. The only knocks I have seen on it are: 1.) The price. 2.) A few users seem to have signal reception issues. I have never had this problem and it looks like it is positioning of the transmitter is the issue in most cases.

The map function (primitive, but helpful), is also a nice feature. The compass looks like a neat feature, but I have had difficulty positioning it properly on my wrist while diving and rarely use it.

I had a lot of issues with Oceanic software and USB cables a few years ago and moved to UWATEC as a result. Don't know if these are still issues, or if they have been resolved.

Have Fun,

Dan

I have owned the Galileo computer for over a year and believe it is a great computer (love the compass) but was quite expensive at the time and is borderline too large. I am 6'1 225lb with decent size arms and I have no idea how anyone wears the computer on their wrist. I strap tightly to my forearm which form fits better than on my wrist and keeps it out of the way with my lostering and spearfishing activity. I am in my late forties so the larger characters are very much a plus. If you are younger I would also look strongly to Oceanic's Atom series and the OC1 like was mentioned before. Suunto computers are absurdly too conservative. If you veer toward the Galileo I would opt instead for the less pricey Luna model unless the heart monitor is desired. Mine has never been utilized...

I am not familiar with all the models, but I have dived with Oceanic and Uwatec, and have been using a Sol for the past couple of years. I like the large display, ability to download dives using IR (no USB cables), software is very good for my needs, batteries in unit and transmitter can be changed by user. I also have a second sending unit on my pony bottle. By far the most useful and best dive computer I have owned.

For underwater photographers this is a great unit. The only knocks I have seen on it are: 1.) The price. 2.) A few users seem to have signal reception issues. I have never had this problem and it looks like it is positioning of the transmitter is the issue in most cases.

The map function (primitive, but helpful), is also a nice feature. The compass looks like a neat feature, but I have had difficulty positioning it properly on my wrist while diving and rarely use it.

I had a lot of issues with Oceanic software and USB cables a few years ago and moved to UWATEC as a result. Don't know if these are still issues, or if they have been resolved.

Have Fun,

Dan

With regard to the compass function if your arm/wrist is in front and paralel with your torso and you press the right button twice I do not see why you would any issues unless it is floppying around while operating the button function. See my comments above on positioning...

Last edited:
If you want to know more about how the Oceanic OC1 works, you can look at the various VIDEOS we have created for it.
Or, even better, you can test it out (virtually) using our scuba diving simulator :D

Next month you should be able to do the same for the Galileo Sol :wink:

Alberto

If you want to know more about how the Oceanic OC1 works, you can look at the various VIDEOS we have created for it.
Or, even better, you can test it out (virtually) using our scuba diving simulator :D

Next month you should be able to do the same for the Galileo Sol :wink:

Alberto

That's cool. Without giving you too much work what are the features and benefits compared to the Atom models? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom