Galileo Sol VS Suunto D9 VS Others Which one ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's cool. Without giving you too much work what are the features and benefits compared to the Atom models? Thanks!

Compared to the Atom, the OC1 is an high end machine with additional scroll menus, integrated compass and dual algorithm. Plus, the look & feel make it "way cool" :wink:

Alberto

Valhalla:

The compass function is weak for me for a couple of reasons. First, most of my dives are dry suit (long band is a plus), and it is tough to get forearm positioned properly for accurate bearings. Second, viz is much lower in temperate areas than Florida. Navigation is critical, so compass is used for long periods. Non wrist compass works better for me. Third, when shooting with a large DSLR rig, really tough to hold camera housing and have arm in correct position to use compass.

Dan

Valhalla:

The compass function is weak for me for a couple of reasons. First, most of my dives are dry suit (long band is a plus), and it is tough to get forearm positioned properly for accurate bearings. Second, viz is much lower in temperate areas than Florida. Navigation is critical, so compass is used for long periods. Non wrist compass works better for me. Third, when shooting with a large DSLR rig, really tough to hold camera housing and have arm in correct position to use compass.

Dan

That makes perfect sence. Navigation is at a bare minimum here in SE Florida with our gulfstream influenced drift diving and north/south oriented ledges and reefs....

Thank a lot for every advice. I think I will get a Galileo sol or Mares ICON HD. I won't be diving re breather as it was too complicate.

I am currently using Galileo Sol as my main and Suunto D4 as backup(out of water, it becomes my watch). I find Galileo Sol as an amazing dive computer which pretty much satisfies everything I expected from a high dive computer plus its really easy to view. As for D4, I have no complaints at all except that the viewable area is lot smaller compared to Galileo Sol. Lot of people have told me that Suunto is conservative but you can always adjust the conservatism in the D4 so I never saw any problems. My 2 cents.

I have a Sol. Strongly recommend it but if the Luna was out when I bought my Sol I prob. would've got it. The heart rate monitor is just a little over the top.

I just bought the Sol. Did my first 3 dives with it on Sunday. Using the compass, I found the anchor rope on each dive. The computer is easy to read. Unlike the aeries ai, where I was always violating the ascent rate monitor, the Sol is alot more forgiving with its monitoring of my ascent.
Can't wait to get more dives with this computer. I am going to try the heart monitor tomorrow.

Thank a lot for every advice. I think I will get a Galileo sol or Mares ICON HD. I won't be diving re breather as it was too complicate.

Galileo Sol ..... coming soon to our simulator see YouTube Video

Last edited:
Have you looked the NHeO from VR Technologies? It's like the VRX but with less functions (i.e. no VGM model)... and cheaper too.

I used to have a D9 and I loved it, but it flooded after 3 years of use (about 1 after the last service) . At about the same time this happened I started on the Tech world, so as I was in the market for a new computer I choose the well proved VR3 (color, Trimix...), I was tempted by the Liquidivision X1, but the VR3 had more time in the market, so I figured for pretty much the same price I would rather stay with a proven configuration... so now I'm a happy VR3 user. I haven't tested or seen a VRX yet, but knowing the VR3 I guess it's a really good computer... not sure about the VGM model, though. And, as someone has pointed out. it really depends on which kind of dive you do or you're planning to do. Tech computers like Liquidvision X1, Shearwater, VR3 or VRX are not the kind of computer I would recommend for a new diver, 'cause they let you do whatever you want to do... Rec models like D9 or Galileo are way more conservative than Tech models and much easier to operate too.

Recently purchased a Luna. All I can say is WOW! I absolutely love it. I can honestly say I beleive I have bought my last computer. I have used about every one out there and this one is awesome! Suunto is nice but waaaaaaay tooo conservative even when you change setting to make it more liberal. I think Uwatec has hit the nail on the head with the Galileo line.

Back
Top Bottom