Galileo Sol Vs Vyper air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monarch_15w

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at getting a new computer. My local dive shop has both models Galileo Sol and the Vyper Air on hand for me to look at. I was thinking the air integration would be nice. Would I still want to have an SPG also? I have also heard that Suunto is very conservative with there algorithms. Does anyone have an advice on either model. does any of the suunto's have an adjustable saftey stop time. I like to stay 5 min cause I feel better after a dive but the gecko I dive now only has a 3min safety stop timer. As for now I am leaning towards the Vyper Air cause I like the display on my current Gecko cause that is what I am used to.

I can't speak about the Galileo Sol, since I only own the Vyper Air.
Sunnto is conservative but with the Vyper Air, and a few other Sunnto's, you can change the algorithim to be less conservative. Default is 100 and you can change it to 50.
The Vyper Air dosen't have an adjustable safety stop time, but has a deep stop feature you can opt to use or disable. You can always stay at 15' for an addtional 2 minutes and use the dive time. The Vyper has many features that the Gecko dosen't, especially a backlight.
I still have mixed feelings about the digital compass. My son likes it though.

You can always download the manuals read about all the features, functions and compare the two.
Vyper Air in pdf
Galileo Sol in pdf

I have also have a Vyper Air as a back- up to my Helo2. You can also set the personal setting to 0 to make it a bit less conservative. I have the transmitter which I use only on my recreational configuration. I also use an SPG only,..... just in case. I feel it's always good to know where the gas situation is, even if ending the dive due to computer failure & the SPG by itself doesn't lend to that much more drag in the water.

I like to stay 5 min cause I feel better after a dive but the gecko I dive now only has a 3min safety stop timer. As for now I am leaning towards the Vyper Air cause I like the display on my current Gecko cause that is what I am used to.

What's wrong with the gekko again? If it works now why bother replacing it?

Everyone's different, but I wouldn't dream of spending hundreds of dollars ($1500 for the galileo sol?) for air integration and other bells and whistles. You don't need a SPG if you have an AI, but they are more likely to fail than a SPG, especially the wireless AIs. So if you have any real concerns about running out of air because you can't monitor it, then you probably should dive with a back up SPG.

And of course I'm sure you realize that you can do any length safety stop you want, regardless of the computer's 3 minute timer. I'm sure your computer won't mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom