Galileo strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HMM. Mine crapped out after about 200 dives. Just started coming apart everywhere. I got charged for the replacement. About $100 I think through the authorized dealer.

Well lets here about the support.... $100 for a rubber strap?? You gotta be joking!
I pretty much just dummy cord it in case I have a failure while diving. Once the strap goes I'll support the fix myself.

One issue I would have with the lds doing the Warranty stuff is that one shops ideas of customer service is not the same as another shop. And if you aren't happy then sp lays it on the shop. So you have to go thru further hassle on a very expensive piece of equipment. For a $15 piece of rubber.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I can appreciate the use of bungee strap, but some of us would rather not.
My strap broke on my Sol after about 175 dives. However, the transmitter crapped out at the same time.
Sent it in to SP, got a new strap & transmitter FOC...
$100.00 for a strap? yea, sure....

I have a Galileo Luna The factory straps " SUCK " Do not even bother getting a strap Factory or after market . Make your own out of a thin bungee . A diver on scuba board sent me photos on he did it & works great !!

The replacement factory strap failed again! The computer itself works perfectly since getting the transmitter replaced with the new version, but the strap is still a total POS!

When are you guys going to fix this for good??? :confused:

It is easy to rig a bungee mount for the computer. I am not a "handyman" but it only took me 10 minutes. There are scubaboard threads on various solutions. In particular, I put 5/32 windshield washer tubing on the pins with just enough space cut off at the ends to snugly hold thin bungee. I then looped the bungee around the pins and tied it off with 2 fisherman's bends so that the length of the bungee can be adjusted for different exposure protection. It is also very clean and no loose ends which is why I did not go with the ball lock mount. Because there are two separate bungee loops, I never have to worry about losing the computer. I will try and post photos tonight. Now, it just slips on my arm like any bungee mounted computer, and the shape of the computer makes for a very comfortable and secure grip on my forearm. Like all bungee mounts, I expect many years of use before even having to think about replacing the bungee.

Problem solved, for $5.00 in materials and 10 minutes of time.

It is easy to rig a bungee mount for the computer. I am not a "handyman" but it only took me 10 minutes. There are scubaboard threads on various solutions. In particular, I put 5/32 windshield washer tubing on the pins with just enough space cut off at the ends to snugly hold thin bungee. I then looped the bungee around the pins and tied it off with 2 fisherman's bends so that the length of the bungee can be adjusted for different exposure protection. It is also very clean and no loose ends which is why I did not go with the ball lock mount. Because there are two separate bungee loops, I never have to worry about losing the computer. I will try and post photos tonight. Now, it just slips on my arm like any bungee mounted computer, and the shape of the computer makes for a very comfortable and secure grip on my forearm. Like all bungee mounts, I expect many years of use before even having to think about replacing the bungee.

Problem solved, for $5.00 in materials and 10 minutes of time.

Yeah, I have my own improvised setup, and it works fine. I think the point I was venting about is more that a product at this price point should not suffer from the same well known issue year-after-year without the manufacturer fixing the problem. If you, me, and everyone else can devise a simple solution, why is it that SP can't seemingly find the will to resolve this for good? I appreciate that they have addressed my concerns in the past, but feel justified in not really wanting to ship this thing off yet again for another multi-week round of repairs.

No, Scubapro is supporting the dealer network and in turn the dealer network will support them. The technician at the LDS can look at the strap, verify the problem, then communicate with Tech. Support if there is a real problem so that they can fix it. I used to be a Scubapro dealer, so I understand and appreciate how the system works. If you work with them, they will back you up 100%.

As a dealer, I'm sure you did support it - it kept you in business despite your providing little to no value. Divers, on the other hand, have no reason to support these games.

My computer was lost for a month at the bottom of the St. Lawrence river. Strap was less than a year old. I had replaced it.
Here is my solution to the Galileo strap issue. I 3d printed replacement pieces that work with double velcro straps. I don't like the bungee idea as it is too loose when diving wet and too tight to fit over drysuit cuffs. This used the Scubapro hinge pins and is a direct replacement. Contact me for the file if you want to print it.

New Strap.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom