Gangga/Bangka Island or Alor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christian

Contributor
Reaction score
Which place if I'm mainly interested in diverse, fishy, colorful coral and good viz?
Resort only. Alor Divers would my choice on Alor. Not sure about Gangga/Bangka, which seems to be a little more pricy ... Not that I'm on a budget, but I haven'r found a resort that seem to offer the same type of packages as AD. More traditional resorts with diving on the side.

Alor would be my first choice. Alor Divers is for me a no brainer if I want both big fish and macro.
On Bangka, I would rather dve with Murex (have been there for 6 times) though not with the luxury Gangga can offer but they have a beautiful beach, you wont see any big fish though neither a rhinopias.

Otherwise in the same range as the resorts you first named you may have a look at :
Cape Paperu on Saparua (nearby Ambon)
Komodo resort on... Komodo.
Some of the resorts in Raja Ampat like Papua Explorers, Sorido, Raja4divers, MIsool Eco resort

... or why not a little further Tawali resort in PNG (coming back from there, very nice) or Walindi resort.

Last edited:
Not been to Cape Paperu but I dived the spots they usually dive around Molana, Saparua, Nusa Laut. It's mainly coral reef with lots of fish and excellent visibility, there's a spot for a few reef sharks, Macro is also an option mosty sand and rubble not black sand muck like in Ambon or Alor..
Cannot say for the house reef though, there is a report posted a couple of weeks ago from someone who went recently..

Bangka and Alor are both very nice places. In Bangka, Murex or Blue Bay Divers, nice muck dives on white sand, lot of macro everywhere. Nice reefs, colorfull, soft corals, few big fish.
In Alor black sand muck dives, + impressive reefs, colorfull, very fishy for some of them including eventual nice encounters with reef sharks, sunfish, tunas etc..., but water a bit colder. Alor Divers first choice there.

Blue Bay isn't operating, I don't think. They're either up for sale or have been sold. Rumor is some big hotel going in there.

OK, my mistake apparently.

Both places are beautiful spots. I should go to Alor before everyone goes there.

Back
Top Bottom