Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is your transmitter?
Attached directly to the regulator, on the right side. But I don’t think that is relevant. It does not help even I lift my arm and nearly touch the transmitter. As said, it worked few dives already.

I do mean tank pressure reading by AI. I was not aware of two methods coms between dc and tankpod, I assumed above and below, it was done with sonar. I turn on the tank at surface, all looks good with pressure reading, as soon as dive starts connection is lost. I tried to test in a bucket and it seems to work but in the bucket dive is not started yet.
Not a good thing since a selling point for these is the longer range of the sonar over Bluetooth I wouldn’t think position of mounting would matter.

Those that are using the Descent Mk2, how has Garmin support / firmware releases been since the Mk2 launch? I know this was a big complaint of Mk1 users so keen to hear whether they're providing more support for the Mk2 series versus Mk1 experience.

Those that are using the Descent Mk2, how has Garmin support / firmware releases been since the Mk2 launch? I know this was a big complaint of Mk1 users so keen to hear whether they're providing more support for the Mk2 series versus Mk1 experience.

Pretty consistent updates. There was just a major update about a month ago.

I do mean tank pressure reading by AI. I was not aware of two methods coms between dc and tankpod, I assumed above and below, it was done with sonar. I turn on the tank at surface, all looks good with pressure reading, as soon as dive starts connection is lost. I tried to test in a bucket and it seems to work but in the bucket dive is not started yet.
Yeah, there are two different modes. Both claim the same transmission distance, which should be plenty (33’). On the surface, it uses ANT wireless, and below it uses sonar. I’m not exactly clear on what initiates the mode switch (computer or transmitter), but for some reason, it appears that your computer is not receiving the sonar signal. Could be the transmitter is not sending, or it could be the computer is just not receiving.

I’m not surprised that you couldn’t duplicate in a bucket. Most computers need a few feet of depth to initiate dive mode, which I assume would also initiate sonar.

Have you tried turning up the transnitter power? Give it a try on high, and s if that makes a difference.

There seems to be a depth point that sonar kicks in. I was swimming in the shallows at around 1m and there was no connection. I assume because it was still in the above water ANT mode. When I dropped to about 2.5m and looked again, it was connected.

Thanks for the tips. I updated to 8.20 (transmitter 2.50) and tried everything that is possible and conclusion is what @Belzelbub said. ANT works at the surface, either device never switches to sonar, or sonar is broken, or mk2i is not able to get the sound signals.

Thanks for the tips. I updated to 8.20 (transmitter 2.50) and tried everything that is possible and conclusion is what @Belzelbub said. ANT works at the surface, either device never switches to sonar, or sonar is broken, or mk2i is not able to get the sound signals.

Did you try changing power output?

Back
Top Bottom