Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why you're calling the AI transmitter an all-capicals POD.

It's more like a F'N POD...instead of beeping it should play music!
But yes, I've dived with it and have not noticed the sound at all. After my first dive, I realised that I forgot to keep an ear out for how distracting this sound I've read about it is.
On the second dive, I spend the first 10 minutes consciously trying to get annoyed by the ping. Still couldn't hear it. From the third dive, I've forgotten all about it.

I wear a 5mm hood with both wet and dry suits. For both my twins and singles rigs, the transmitter is on a 6" HP hose bungeed to my primary reg, so it sits pretty close to my right shoulder.
I didn't have to try to hear it, it was just a new sound that I had no idea what it was. I also didn't read about it or see a video about the sound before diving it. After I dove the with the pod I did a search on the it and found out that it is normal operation.

I also didn't notice it with my 7mm hood on, but I can't really hear someone talking to me that well with my hood on either. My bet is unless you have damaged hearing, having the POD bungeed to your reg and without a hood, that you will not have to try to get annoyed by it with the POD being that close.

Anyhow, I turned down the pod power and do plan on permanently changing the placement of it as well.

I had no luck with the fastest update option for snowboarding. It would always turn off a couple hours in. However, battery life seemed decent when using it on that setting and much better than my son using the mk1 at the higher rate. (The mk1 also turned off after a couple hours on at the higher rate)

Recording for 8 or more hours a day plus always recording O2, I have gone many weeks with more than 4 days riding and the rest of the week regular use before charging it.

However for snowboarding, twice the watch/app told me I was going insane speeds at 266mph and once 2984mph. Both times I noticed the issue on the lift and stopped the app and restarted the app. All the other days I would top out around 75-80 which is normal.

I have been meaning to send in a ticket about that.

Attachments

• 20210331_065442.jpg
    20210331_065442.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 64
I am a little frustrated with my AI. It worked couple of dives normal. But now at the surface connection is all good but as soon as I descent, no connection. It does not come back until I am back in the surface. Any suggestions or experiences on this?

I am a little frustrated with my AI. It worked couple of dives normal. But now at the surface connection is all good but as soon as I descent, no connection. It does not come back until I am back in the surface. Any suggestions or experiences on this?
Are you meaning to say the GPS feature or the tank pressure reading function?

Are you meaning to say the GPS feature or the tank pressure reading function?
He mentioned AI, so I’m assuming he’s talking about tank pressure. GPS should be non-functional underwater.

Regarding the tank pressure, it sounds like the sonar ping is not working. Either at the transmitter, or at the receiver. IIRC, the Garmin uses two different methods for communication between the transmitter and DC. One for on the surface, one for below. Is it possible to test the sonar above the water? If not, that sounds like a problem with the design. Not being able to confirm function before the dive is not optimal.

He mentioned AI, so I’m assuming he’s talking about tank pressure. GPS should be non-functional underwater.

Regarding the tank pressure, it sounds like the sonar ping is not working. Either at the transmitter, or at the receiver. IIRC, the Garmin uses two different methods for communication between the transmitter and DC. One for on the surface, one for below. Is it possible to test the sonar above the water? If not, that sounds like a problem with the design. Not being able to confirm function before the dive is not optimal.
He did mention AI but perfectly described the underwater performance of gps, so I thought specific information would prove more helpful than assuming what OP meant. I haven’t used one of these units so I can’t give a definitive answer but I have a cursory understanding.

MK2s is out.
s stands for small
Its a non AI Mk2 in a smaller case and also comes in blue and I think pink.

Mk2i/T1 bundles are also out.

I do mean tank pressure reading by AI. I was not aware of two methods coms between dc and tankpod, I assumed above and below, it was done with sonar. I turn on the tank at surface, all looks good with pressure reading, as soon as dive starts connection is lost. I tried to test in a bucket and it seems to work but in the bucket dive is not started yet.

I do mean tank pressure reading by AI. I was not aware of two methods coms between dc and tankpod, I assumed above and below, it was done with sonar. I turn on the tank at surface, all looks good with pressure reading, as soon as dive starts connection is lost. I tried to test in a bucket and it seems to work but in the bucket dive is not started yet.

Where is your transmitter?

Back
Top Bottom