Garmin MK3i reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello. You're probably the perfect person for me to ask about the post that I made which is I currently have a Teric and I was thinking about picking up the MK3 because of the distance with the transmitter because my daughter is getting certified in April.

Not sure if you've ever used a Teric, but if so what's your thoughts on that? My main concern is being able to monitor her at 16 years old.

I have not used a Teric (though I do have a Peregrine, so I'm familiar with Shearwater in general, just not an AI Shearwater). I don't have an opinion on the difference in range between the two -- that wasn't specifically part of my purchase decision. Both Shearwater and Garmin make excellent dive computers, but I'm a huge fan of Garmin's health/fitness tracking and battery life on land and prefer a single device that can do it all, so I never seriously considered the Teric.

My 15-year-old son will be starting certification classes soon, so I do like the ability of being able to monitor his air. As Belzelbub said, though, I will expect my son to be responsible for tracking his own air consumption and responding to my hand signals, just as I would expect from any dive buddy. But I do like the notion of being able to see his air at a glance for my own parental peace of mind.

I have not used a Teric (though I do have a Peregrine, so I'm familiar with Shearwater in general, just not an AI Shearwater). I don't have an opinion on the difference in range between the two -- that wasn't specifically part of my purchase decision. Both Shearwater and Garmin make excellent dive computers, but I'm a huge fan of Garmin's health/fitness tracking and battery life on land and prefer a single device that can do it all, so I never seriously considered the Teric.

My 15-year-old son will be starting certification classes soon, so I do like the ability of being able to monitor his air. As Belzelbub said, though, I will expect my son to be responsible for tracking his own air consumption and responding to my hand signals, just as I would expect from any dive buddy. But I do like the notion of being able to see his air at a glance for my own parental peace of mind.
I have been called a helicopter parent. 😂

anybody tried updating / adding the maps? I tried as per the video and keep getting a error message map sync failed, even though my wifi is strong and I can sync with the wifi.
It idles a long time "Requesting Map update data" then shows a red circle "map sync failed"
Anybody else has issues with adding maps?

anybody tried updating / adding the maps? I tried as per the video and keep getting a error message map sync failed, even though my wifi is strong and I can sync with the wifi.
I idles a long time "Requesting Map update data" then shows a red circle "map sync failed"
Anybody else has issues with adding maps?

This is a known issue that they are working on. No ETA for a fix yet.

I have just created a post with my initial impressions of the Mk3i after a couple of initial dives for those who are interested. See here:

map updates seem to work as of today, although REAL SLOW
It's a ton of data. Can take a very long time if it's over WiFi. Plug it into your computer over USB and it should be a little faster. Still may take an hour or more depending on how much it's trying to update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom