Garmin vs shearwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jrob4449

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I’m looking at upgrading my dive computer and I’ve been look at the shearwater teric or tern x vs the Garmin descent. I really like the fact the Garmin is a smartwatch too I could use daily to replace my smartwatch and use it as my computer. Anyone have any insight between the two?

You have a smart watch. I say buy the Tern unless you're planning to use trimix.

If you want a watch form the Garmin i feel is a better dive computer than Teric, just search the forum. I owned both. That being said get a perdix 2 for a computer and a less expensive Garmin smart watch.

I have both a Shearwater (Perdix AI) and a Garmin (Descent MK2s).

Honestly, it’s tough to go wrong with either. I’m not a fan of the AI implementation on the Garmins. Mainly due to a proprietary transmitter (now transceiver) and using different transmission protocols above and below water. That said, the T2 is pretty impressive, and I haven’t heard of very many instances recently where ANT worked on the surface but Subwave did not.

As far as capabilities go, both are highly capable dive computers regardless of the type of diving you do. Recreational, Technical, CCR, custom GFs, and SurfGF are all supported on both.

If you want to also wear as a Smart/Activity watch, get the Garmin. If you just want it for a dive computer, get the Shearwater.

I have a Garmin Descent G1 and a Shearwater Perdix. Both are very good computers and give almost identical NDL on a dive. Very happy with both.

I have a perdix & mk2i... And a few more.

The Garmin is by far superior to all others. Just the dive app implementation alone beats all others to shame. Add to that all other stuff it can do and it's unbeatable.

Problem with ai? Never had any. Works flawlessly.

Hi everyone. I’m looking at upgrading my dive computer and I’ve been look at the shearwater teric or tern x vs the Garmin descent. I really like the fact the Garmin is a smartwatch too I could use daily to replace my smartwatch and use it as my computer. Anyone have any insight between the two?

I have been wearing an MK2S for a little over a year now as a regular smart watch/workout watch. I love it. I owned (key word here) a Teric and sold it and have no regrets or miss it and I am one of Shearwaters biggest fans but sorry Shearwater Garmin way out did the Teric.

Aside for the Garmin proprietary transmitter thing I can not think of anything that Teric has that is better than the Garmin.

However........
I have only use the Garmin for diving a handful of times. I just can not steer away from the Petrel/Perdix platform. I have been diving Petrel's for so long it is what I know and what I like to use. Plus all 3 of my rebreathers have Petrels so having a Perdix backup is just so much easier.

Personally if it were me I would do what most are saying. Perdix/Petrel for diving and Garmin for everyday watch. I basically never user my Garmin for diving.

Garmin.

I think the Shearwater still has a bit of an edge over the Garmins speaking solely about the dive computer function, but the Garmin far outdo the Shearwater as an overall product.

I dive both, and even a 3rd. If it’s tech/CCR I’m diving a shearwater, I have a petrel hardwired and a Perdix standalone. If recreational, then all I need is a puck computer. The Garmin is always in my arm as it’s my daily watch, as such it functions as a back up or a primary if I don’t have the puck for whatever reason.

The quick switch band system on the Garmin is awesome to go from regular watch strap to bungee literally in seconds, it’s super handy and well built. The new Shearwater (Tern) has the same or similar system, not sure they also have the bungee strap, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Garmin bungee system works on it also, just gotta get the right size. Teric do not have that system, maybe new batches would, idk.
The Shearwater bands are awesome though, they feel so good, I wish the Garmins had them.

Can’t speak for AI on either, not a feature I ever needed/desired, so no experience with either one.

Back
Top Bottom