Gas failure kills local diver - Washington state

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Washington, probably scallops. (You've seen "Diver Scallops" in a restaurant?) Could be kelp, urchins, geoduck. All are harvested on Scuba.

I see you are from Portland. All of the same things that you get in Casco Bay you can get in Washington State except Maine Lobster, but you can;t take those on scuba anyway.

at what depts are these guys operating. CESA not possible?
A lot of these divers are called walkers or semi walkers meaning they walk more than swim to do this and not get blown off by current while dragging 200 to 300 feet of hooka hose they will wear 50 to 60 or more lbs of weight They will operate from 30 to 80 feet They are prohibited from going into deco per regulations so some of them have been known to switch computers mid day A lot of them only have the drysuit for buoyancy control so a sudden loss of gas , combined with extreme overweight , and a inability to drop that weight quickly can cause divers to pass out from loss of o2 when the air supply is cut or if there air supply is comprised from co2 from a faulty compressor or intake line they may just go to sleep.

Harvest divers can easily clear 8 to 11000 per week for a 4 to 6 week season diving only 1 1/2 days per week This causes them to blurr the lines of profit and safety which means every year it's possible that someone will die.

You would think with that kind of profit margins, you would take it upon yourself to put in some safety margins. But, it's probably a different culture out there. I would not like the feeling of having my life in some boat operators hands. ugh.

"The man's Oxygen supply was cut off"
So why was he breathing pure O2 in the first place?
And what type of equipment just stops working and suddenly provides no oxygen?

There's probably zero chance he was breathing O2. The media as usual couldn't accurately report a rainy day. They think every diver breaths pure O2

The article quoted is technically correct. Your air/nitrox from your tank/hose is your oxygen supply. It is where your oxygen comes from. It doesn't mean it has to be 100%.

The article quoted is technically correct. Your air/nitrox from your tank/hose is your oxygen supply. It is where your oxygen comes from. It doesn't mean it has to be 100%.

Technically it is our breathing gas supply. When they use it means 100%.

Last edited:
I can not imagine what that part might be. I would really appreciate it if you could talk to your tech buddy and let me know.

Thanks.

Was diving with them this weekend and talked to the Captain. He said it was definitely an Apek. Said he thought it was a T something.

sad news...condolences to family friends and colleagues....

Yes. If the shuttle valve inside of the balve body (air barrel) is upside down, it is possible that the valve lever may snap down and prevent air from being release from inhalation or diaphragm depression...

https://goo.gl/images/p2GSsh

Wow. I've never heard of a reg failing due to a part upside down. :(

Though waiting to learn more, my guess is with Pao's above; valve not properly turned on.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom