Gator Bites Diver Retrieving Golf Balls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ:
They don't need to whack the gator! He was just doing what gators do.

They don't need to whack the mass murderer! He was just doing what mass murderers do.

onfloat:
What a clever analogy:huh:
Of course it is. It uses exactly the same reasoning as saying that it is ok for an aligator to bite people because he is an aligator. It is not alright and aligators that do should be removed.

Nah. Because he bites people. Aligators are to be managed not taught. There are two kinds of inteligences in the Universe. Those that can act on other things and those that can be acted upon. It is requisite that those that can act have responsibility for those that can't. However, in the heiarchy of who can bite who. Those that can act rule. If an aligator bites a human it gets managed becuase a human has the greater capacity to act. That is the true order of nature. Not the kind you find watching Disney movies.

and mass murders? Don't get me wrong I'll pull the trigger in a heart beat, but killing the gator seems to be a sensless killing. The diver should have known that gators were in the area and accepted the risk. If he was properly armed and killed the gator to survive that would make sense, but to kill it after the fact....

onfloat:
and mass murders? Don't get me wrong I'll pull the trigger in a heart beat, but killing the gator seems to be a sensless killing. The diver should have known that gators were in the area and accepted the risk. If he was properly armed and killed the gator to survive that would make sense, but to kill it after the fact....
It's SOP for any animal that attacks a human. Many animals go their entire life without ever attacking a human, but those that see humans as potential targets are generally put down to prevent repeat occurences, having demonstrated their willingness to consider humans targets.

SOP ranks right up there with "That's the way we've always done it." Doesn't mean it's necessarily the best option. I would think relocating it to an area that has no human contact would be another. A diver doesn't really look like a human now do they? I'm sure may have been some confusion or maybe protection of some territory.

Lets look at it this way shall we?
You're sitting in your house watching T.V. (If alligators had T.V.) when all of a sudden someone comes in and begins raiding your kitchen. What is your response? Do you continue to watch T.V., or do you do what comes naturally and react defensively? I bet most of you pick choice B. Then, as you are reacting, the kitchen raider picks up a knife and swipes at you. Do you allow yourself to get shanked, or do you defend yourself? Again, choice B seems pretty clear. This is all that the alligator was doing. So why punish him for defending his turf. Worst case, I think they should relocate the alligator to a less inhabited environment. But that's just an opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom