Gator kills swimmer at Blue Spring, Orange City, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went to Blue Spring early this morning to dive. While checking in several police and emergence cars entered the park. When we parked a large fire engine was blocking the walk way to the park. Thought better to find out what had happened before suiting up. Very few people in the park and police were talking to an older woman. She said her swimming companion had disappeared while swimming. They closed the park, and roped off the access to the river. Helicopters, dive teams, sheriff dept., Orange City police, and FWC officers swarmed the area. Then all of the TV crews showed up. My daughter noticed a few police running towards the mouth of the river so she and a friend followed. I was a little bit behind her with my wife. Then police pushed us all away from the river and took out assault rifles and posted shooters every 50 feet. My daughter and friend reported that they had seen the body underwater and a big gator on top of it. The police brought a large power boat up the river and shot a blast from the prop at the body and the gator moved a few feet away but stayed near the body.After several hours of waiting we saw a wildlife animal catcher come with his gear and scuba divers from the county dive rescue team were suited up waiting to recover the body. We didn't wait any longer instead left. We'd been there since 9:30 AM and it was 1:30 PM, no dead gator but diving wasn't going to happen today. Found out the swimmer was a 63 year old male.I have been diving there for years, never saw a gator up near the swimming area. I suspect since so few people were in the water not making the usual noise it gave the gator free access and a undisturbed approach. Too bad for the victim and his swimming partner.~

Last edited:
How do they know the gator killed the swimmer? He may have drowned first and the gator was swimming nearby. Could be just sensationalism. I'm guessing heart attack. Just speculating...

Man, if a twelve foot gator swam up to me when I was freestyling across Blue Spring, I'd die of a heart attack too. (If I were lucky).

Big gators eat mammals, all kinds. I'm sure the reptile's interest in the submerged body wasn't altruistic. Gators kill by grabbing their prey and then drowning it in deep water.

Sad that he had to die this way, but that's what happens when we as a species move in to places like the everglades that are full of wild things.

Hope the police got their underwater fugitive.

Saw a news story about this earlier. They said authorities were still not sure how he died.

The couple said they saw Okkerse face down in the spring Monday morning and went to help him. But in an instant, he vanished under the water.

"I saw him floating around and thought he was diving," said Carol Annen. "When I got there, he totally disappeared — totally, completely disappeared."

Sounds like the gator was just opportunistic.

12 ft's a big gator. I start worrying about them when they get bigger than 10 ft. Below that, and they're more afraid of me than I am of them.

I was snorkeling Blue Springs yesterday, Sunday the 18th. Swimming was closed for a while because of the gator, but I saw it again. See this video I took. I uploaded this just as I heard about this on the news. Condolences to the family.

https://youtu.be/FL5kn4ljywE

https://www.youtube.com/user/salaseivastajat

12 ft's a big gator. I start worrying about them when they get bigger than 10 ft. Below that, and they're more afraid of me than I am of them.

I'm afraid that for me the water would make anything over 3 feet long look like over 10 feet long! Just the magnification of the water, not my fear or anything.

I'm afraid that for me the water would make anything over 3 feet long look like over 10 feet long! Just the magnification of the water, not my fear or anything.
I had a five foot gator come join my Scuba class at Alexander once. Just settled on the bottom between my students and me. Lots of nervous bubbles were blown on that dive. I grew up here. I probably have a better feel on who to respect and who to ignore. When a gator gets big enough to make the water dance, they are worth worrying about...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom