Gear configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd. be interested to see where SSI requires a second independent air source.

To clarify, SSI doesn't require anyone to buy or use a redundant air source. Rather, I was told that for deep dive training specifically, SSI very recently added a requirement that the student has to complete one deep dive with a redundant air source, and be trained in its use.

To clarify, SSI doesn't require anyone to buy or use a redundant air source. Rather, I was told that for deep dive training specifically, SSI very recently added a requirement that the student has to complete one deep dive with a redundant air source, and be trained in its use.

My quote above was from the 2020 Deep Dive course. That does not mean it has not changed, but I guess I'll. have to check with our. course director at our shop...

I believe PADI is the same - at least I had to for Deep.

I haven't used my pony in years but this is my set up--
The small (13cf) pony is attached to my single AL80 tank, with the pony reg bungeed around my neck.
My regular octo is attached elsewhere on my chest area.
I tried slinging a 19cf pony years ago and found it a bit awkward.
Also (unrelated) my primary mouthpiece is bungeed around my head so it is held in my mouth in case I ever black out. This would have to be removed to take in the pony mouthpiece.
To each his/her own.

My pony has 22" lp and 8" hp hoses, a necklaced second and 2" spg. because it's also the left side of my sidemount set. Long hose from the right.
There's no advantage to using doubles when the group you're with is all using singles but carrying a pony preserves redundancy and increases reserves.

I believe in futureproofing skills and gear, and as you've mentioned you would like to do tech eventually, you should be aware of, or move towards having a standardized tech setup which normalizes the bungee alternate source and uses the long hose primary for donation. And no other bungeed regulators.

Obviously, do what you want, but my advice is just to start off right, using tech conventions as your guide rather than inventing your own, and starting to think like a technical diver (streamlining, simplicity, redundancy, standardization, sharing gas, potential for hazards like entanglement, breathing the wrong gas). There's a reason for tech gear being relatively standardized, which also includes SPG on hip D-ring, computer on right wrist, no retractors, etc.

Anything that involves an octo around your neck means that you're donating your primary to an OOG diver, so think about the required length and routing. Will it be long enough to reach the other diver safely? Can you both swim with it deployed? Does your existing routing under your arm satisfy that requirement or does it need to be cleared past your arm to reach your buddy?

Two necklaces can be confusing if you need to switch regs (say when donating your primary to an OOG buddy) and put the wrong one in your mouth and get nothing (remember your pony should be turned off unless you need it).

If you need to get the pony necklace over your head, that could flood or knock off your mask. It's just a lot of potential fuss lurking in a real emergency situation.

If you're going deep, you should use a larger stage rigged setup (say AL40 or AL80) clipped to your left front and hip D-rings rather than a smaller pony because you can get familiar with using them for redundancy and extending your bottom times compared to having a small emergency-only pony. You can use the AL40/80 if you do tech, but anything smaller will probably not do.

You can also detach and clip a stage rigged setup to your buddy so you're independent of each other if they run out of gas, and a necklace around your neck makes that hard.

This would be a good time to standardize on regs if you're building a set. All of my regs are Apeks XTX50s second stages with DS4 (stage/deco) and DST (doubles), so servicing is easy, and they are all interchangeable.

AFAIK, PADI standards for Deep don't technically require the student to be the one carrying or deploying the extra bottle, just using an alternate source for one minute during the simulated emergency deco stop. The extra bottle(s) is often carried by the instructor. If this stop is midwater without a line to hang on to, this would be messy with students who have never deployed their own bottles before. :) But obviously, it all depends on the site and instructor, and if you have one that will have you run through the deploy and stow process, that is awesome.

First post on SB so here it goes!

I got OW certified last year, really dug it. Diving took a bit of a pause with COVID but recently got back into it now that I've found an LDS (Portland) that's still operational.

Anyway I now own all my own kit - regs, BC, exposure system, etc. In my eagerness to get my own stuff I pretty much purchased along the lines of what my LDS recommended. Having had a bit more experience now with my own kit and done some more research, there a some tweaks I'm considering making to my gear.

My philosophy when adding / changing gear is that I want to incorporate elements that I'll be able to grow into as I progress with diving - ultimately technical diving being of interest to me. With that in mind I like the following set up - I think I want the regulator / hose configuration where the primary goes under the right arm and incorporates a swivel / elbow joint, and the octo is on a short hose with a necklace. Seems like this is a good, streamlined set up that's suited for more advanced diving (caverns?) as I continue my training.

A couple quick questions about this set up -

- SSI training for deep dives now incorporates a mandatory bail out bottle training component. I've already completed this part in the pool, and noticed the bailout bottle's regulator used the necklace. Where I'm going is with my desired set up listed above combined with a bailout bottle I'd have two necklaces in my system . . . is that an issue? Like if I have to switch to my bailout reg but I'm already wearing a necklace with my octo - is there a way to deal with that? Depth does have an allure to me (controversial I know), I've been to 111 feet and would like to do additional deep dives in the future so the bailout bottle may become a regular part of my kit and I want to make sure my desired primary / octo setup and routing is suitable with its use.

- Is having the octo around your neck cumbersome? Do you feel / notice it in the water or pretty much forget it's there? I'm basically trying to make sure that with an octo around my neck, the area doesn't get too cluttered with gear and that I'll be able to readily use my compass / SPG which are both on D-rings near either shoulder.

Lastly! If anyone can recommend an Octo that's well suited for what I've described, I'd love to hear it. I'm currently using an Apeks XL4+ first stage. Again, I figure I may as well get an Octo that's robust and works well in cold water, minimal free-flow issues, etc. Since I'm serious about diving I see no reason to get a more entry-level unit to save money now, only to want to replace it as I get more advanced.

Thank you for your input!
If you are considering diving in overhead environments, I would go with a 7' hose. You don't need a swivel for your primary or secondary but would need one for your bailout bottle. You should rig your bottle so that the octopus is neatly tucked away and held on the bottle with bungee cords. You would simply pull the regulator out when you need it (and not wear it around your neck). As far as cold water regulators, many second stages are simply tuned -- by adjusting a screw -- for cold water/warm water and a separate regulator isn't necessary. Yes, there are regulators that are universally recognized as great (e.g. Scubapro S600) but that is up to you whether you want to spend 2-3x more money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom