Gear for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I have just started diving & have completed 5 dives as part of my NAUI SD certification. Needless to say, I intend to carry on with recreational diving.

My question is this... what dive gear should I invest in to begin with? I have a budget of USD300-500.

All I have as of now is a dive mask with prescription glasses.

Cheerio...Nikhil

I would hold off on buying anything major now. Rent and borrow gear until you find out what works for you. I have almost a full set of gear I bought right after ow that i no longer use, waist of money for me. Also get out and dive with people with different diving backgrounds to see what all gear is out there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would get my own fins and boots. Many rental places that have good regs and BC's have crap for personal gear such as masks, fins, boots, etc. Depending on where you plan to do most of your diving I'd also consider a good 3 or 5 mil full wetsuit. That way you're only using one with your pee in it.:wink:

Yap! I made the mistake of buying some gear after my OW certification and ended up selling most of it on ebay for pennies. The rest is in my garage and never gets t see use. Here is what I learnt:

1. BCDs are easy to learn diving in but once you reach a certain level of proficiency, then back plate and wings will prove to be better option than BCDs.
2. Solid rubber fins like Jets and Hollis F1s are better than the colorful looking plastic ones. I purchased a pair of Sherwood Kinessis and they never saw use except for their first dive. (If anyone wants to buy them send me a pm as they have only seen one 20 minutes dive).
3. Frameless low profile masks were the only masks that were fitting my face.
4. Snorkel that I purchased never saw use again.
5. The big rambo knife that they sold me was not the most practical tool for its purpose.
6. Sealed Diaphram regulators should have been my choice because most of my diving will now happen in colder waters.

Here is my suggestion. Buy a wetsuit only and maybe your boots and fins. Even with fins you want to try out a lot before you can find your preference. I would recommend doing at least 25 dives before you are prepared to invest money into gear.

Yap! I made the mistake of buying some gear after my OW certification and ended up selling most of it on ebay for pennies. The rest is in my garage and never gets t see use. Here is what I learnt:

1. BCDs are easy to learn diving in but once you reach a certain level of proficiency, then back plate and wings will prove to be better option than BCDs.
2. Solid rubber fins like Jets and Hollis F1s are better than the colorful looking plastic ones. I purchased a pair of Sherwood Kinessis and they never saw use except for their first dive. (If anyone wants to buy them send me a pm as they have only seen one 20 minutes dive).
3. Frameless low profile masks were the only masks that were fitting my face.
4. Snorkel that I purchased never saw use again.
5. The big rambo knife that they sold me was not the most practical tool for its purpose.
6. Sealed Diaphram regulators should have been my choice because most of my diving will now happen in colder waters.

Here is my suggestion. Buy a wetsuit only and maybe your boots and fins. Even with fins you want to try out a lot before you can find your preference. I would recommend doing at least 25 dives before you are prepared to invest money into gear.

I would agree with most of what the guys and CAPTAIN SINBAD has said but there are a few things I would add.

1. Fins, mask, wetsuit and snorkel are the first to get on the items list
I love my jets but they can be a pain for traveling, for a mask you can go cheap or expensive but these are the masks I have tried and really like (oceanic shadow, atomic sub-frame, scubapro scubapro spectra trufit mask). If you enjoy doing a bit snorkeling, get one but avoid those complicated ones with a huge dry top as they really do nothing but flop all over the place.

For a wetsuit you really only need a 3mm suit if you dive around south east asia, get one that fits well.

2. Bcd is a very personal thing, a lot of pp here love a bp/w but there are many equally capable rigs like a zeagle express tech, diverite transpac or if you ever decide to do sidemount, there is the xdeep stealth.

3. Knives, lights etc you can get after you've had more dives and more experience.

If you want to, you could contact me at 55fathoms@gmail.com if you want to check out a bp/w or some other stuff like fins and mask.

Cheers

Hi,
I have just started diving & have completed 5 dives as part of my NAUI SD certification. Needless to say, I intend to carry on with recreational diving.

My question is this... what dive gear should I invest in to begin with? I have a budget of USD300-500.

All I have as of now is a dive mask with prescription glasses.

Cheerio...Nikhil

USED - that is my one word answer.

There are quite a few people out there that start diving - get excited - buy all the gear and then for some reason it doesn't work out and they end up selling their gear.

So you could get good gear for a very cost effective price.

In case you turn out to the above mentioned individuals (no offence) you don't loose a big amount of $$$

good luck

USED - that is my one word answer.

There are quite a few people out there that start diving - get excited - buy all the gear and then for some reason it doesn't work out and they end up selling their gear.

So you could get good gear for a very cost effective price.

In case you turn out to the above mentioned individuals (no offence) you don't loose a big amount of $$$

good luck

Agreed, craigslist is your friend! So is Ebay!

While used gear can be OK...I have bought some used gear I had to throw away. I would suggest you trying different gear before buying a reg and BCD. Get your fins and a wet suit first...my 2 cents ..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom