gear on ebay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've never bought anything on eaby and I was wondering what your opinions are regarding buying used dive gauges and dive computers there.
I'm concerened that I could get something that has perhaps been problematic for the seller.
Thanks,
Spencer

caveat emptor

While we have bought an number of good things on eBay, we have also received some items that were in, er... slightly different condition than described and the photo seemed to show.

Sometimes a lower price is not the best indicator.

I've bought a fair amount of stuff on ebay with good results. If the seller has only sold a few things then I'm more cautious than if the seller has sold a lot of stuff and has a good satisfaction rating. I also communicate with the sellers. I've asked if they are willing to take back an item that they are not sure works properly. If they say 'no' then I don't enter the auction. That goes for computers as well. I've bought three, including one that the seller was unsure if it worked, and all have been fine. I've bought regulators and unless it's from a dealer and is new I have it serviced prior to use. All in all I've saved a lot of money and have been very satisfied.

Every on line purchase involves some risk. Janene has some good advice. Communicate with the seller and ask about take backs. It is also a good idea to take your purchase to your LDS to have it evaluated. I've had to inform some customers that the used reg they purchased was beyond repair due to poor maintenance. Remember, we're dealing with life support equipment here, so you want to be careful.

Uh…huh…french-fried-potat’ers…LOL. Love the avatar!

I’ve bought some stuff on eBay and most of it was decent. The regulators I acquired all were in good shape and just needed servicing. I had to throw out some hoses and a SPG but they were purchased as a kit. Just be aware of what you’re purchasing and ask the seller lots of questions.

Most things mechanical are easy enough to fix, but an electronic item such as a dive computer maybe something to stay away from…

There are many threads on this topic (see the bottom of this page for "similar threads" for more feedback). The basic idea is that yes there's more risk, but you can minimize it if you read/inspect the seller feedback, read the item description carefully, ask the seller questions if something is unclear.

Most the the stuff is as described. I bought one used dive computer and it has worked fine so far for the past few years, and I got a killer deal on a ("used" but new) drysuit that's been perfect (though it was from a sketchy seller with 0 feedback and hence risky, but those deals are the best when they turn out well). I've also bought fins and such for which there was little risk.

I have been very lucky with my ebay purchases. I have bought lights, computers, dry suits, bcd, masks and fins. All have been as described. Look at the sellers feed-back rating. I would shy away from anyone with less than 20 or so sells..OR a feedback rating of less than 100%. The feedback rating being more important than the number of sells.
Open a Pay Pal account and do all transactions through that account. They have some buyer protections services that can come in handy, should the deal go south.

I had seen good looking tanks for low prices sometimes unused ,the regulatores

and those i dit seen is it that i never feald need to those old things....

E.L.7*

if your looking for a good deal from good people. its on ebay
if your looking for junk from jerks. its on ebay

like it has been said, first thing IMO study the sellers feedback and sales.
example: a seller with 100% positive feedback, means very little if they only have 2 sales. i personally avoid sellers with less than 90% ratings regardless of how many sales they have made.
on the flip side an honest seller may have only a handfull of sales but a terrible rating based on a single person with a bad attitude (yes ive seen it and delt with them anyway).

i would suggest before buying any big ticket items on ebay, start with a few small (inexpensive) items just to get the feel of how it all goes. (id rather get hosed for a $2 imitation widget, than a $600 computer)

sorry if i sound cynical. im really not, i have made several very successful purchases/sales on ebay (90% of this new computer im on right now actually lol). HOWEVER i have lost a few dollars along the way on auctions that i knew i shouldve avoided, but being new and full of desire for whatever was on my mind at the time i made some bad bids.

OH!!!!! if you are the type of person that wanders around all the stores at the mall looking for things to buy you may want to avoid ebay, because you can basically find ANYTHING on that site.

happy bidding! and dont forget to clean your closets and garage and make some sales as well = D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom