Gear stowage & entanglement hazards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
About those Danglies....

Have you every noticed that all the stuff we sometimes hang on ourselves....

Dangerously Dangles Down....
Seriously Seeking Snags....

????

Well... have ya???

This is part of the DIR philosophy, "No Danglies" as well as PADI's basic open water. But people seem to ignore it.

Go figure.

I saw an instructor down in Coz on a recent trip that looked like a bag lady. He had so much crap hanging off of him, he looked like an accident waiting to happen.

ID

*more* importantly have you noticed the number of pics in
most dive mags of the danglies?

my wife has less than 25 dives and her gear is AJ-squared
away. Of course her hubby might have something to do with
her attitude in that regard. :)

I do keep my swimsuit on, but yep there is still stuff dangling, like a lift bag, and a reel.:eek:

I use the "Diamond Reef" system to demonstrate to students that things aren't quite as streamlined as they think. This system involves swimming through a series of diamond shaped PVC hoops that will snag a danglie in a heartbeat. The system is great for teaching buoyancy skills too.
Rick

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
*more* importantly have you noticed the number of pics in
most dive mags of the danglies?

*cough*

GM, that's trolling that is :egrin:
What do you expect in dive magazines, pictures with a caption "trust us, you dont need to buy anything else" ? :D

:hehe:

But I like my dangly things......stages, deco bottles, argon bottle, .... :D

Mike

I love the pics of divers with their pressure gauges floating off in the wild blue yonder. :rolleyes:

I will jump in here with my favorite also, in ow training I was taught several ways to retreive my octo from behind me! And that was the only way we were taught to carry it. We could see, and it was mentioned there were other ways, but gear config was missing sorely.

Same goes with the console, drag it along in the water, reefs, dirt, net, what have you.

Why I would ever want my life support bouncing off my butt is beyond me.

I forgot the exact formula, but the amount of energy required to push masses through water rises exponentially in a massive way. Just a bit of extra gear causes more work, stress, air.

Tommy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom