Gear too heavy to walk on boat/climb ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really appreciate this conversation. I am a 56 year old woman in decent shape, but my doctor just told me I can't lift anything heavy ever again due to some issues I won't go into here. I was devastated. She wanted to know why I was so upset and I said, " I am a scuba diver! Everything is heavy!". I know I can don and doff in the water with some boats in some places, but all of my local shore diving (cold water in the Monterey Bay area of CA) is gone (right?) and what happens if the water is rough when you come up? It seems unsafe to take the gear off and try to hand up weights, etc. Am I restricted to warm water easy boat diving locations? That would be great if I lived near warm water, but I dive every weekend or close to it, and it means a lot to me. time to retire and move someplace tropical?

Sorry to hear it, seasiren. If you can't lift anything heavy, you can't lift anything heavy. At least in warm, tropical, calm conditions you can feasibly don your gear in the water and hand your gear up on deck after diving. Even there, if a sudden bad storm kicked up, you might have to leave your gear in the water and lose it in the worst case. Maybe that's a risk you're prepared to take, but also consider whether you could get yourself out of the water, even without gear on, in those conditions. There are also lakes/quarries/rivers that you can dive in, and your (very nice) buddy could probably get your gear in/out of the water for you in those places without too much trouble.

I did once see a contraption where you could attach wheels to your BCD, and pack the wheels on the bottom of the tank in the water (for shore diving). I can't find it now, though.

I really appreciate this conversation. I am a 56 year old woman in decent shape, but my doctor just told me I can't lift anything heavy ever again due to some issues I won't go into here. I was devastated. She wanted to know why I was so upset and I said, " I am a scuba diver! Everything is heavy!". I know I can don and doff in the water with some boats in some places, but all of my local shore diving (cold water in the Monterey Bay area of CA) is gone (right?) and what happens if the water is rough when you come up? It seems unsafe to take the gear off and try to hand up weights, etc. Am I restricted to warm water easy boat diving locations? That would be great if I lived near warm water, but I dive every weekend or close to it, and it means a lot to me. time to retire and move someplace tropical?

Perhaps you should look into a single tank sidemount rig with a small pony for backup. I have never tried it but that should allow you to add the main tank during or after entry. It would also leave you with a smaller and much lighter gas supply if you need it for the transitions in and out.

I called the dive shop we'll be using in Catalina, armed with the tips I received here. The person I talked to said they make these accommodations regularly. The boat platform is slightly submerged so that makes it easier. I will call again a few days before diving, when they know who the DM will be, so that I can speak to him personally to make sure we have it worked out ahead of time. I want to express my gratitude to all those who responded. I learned a great deal.
--Chicagolady
ChicagoLady,

If this is your California dive, you might opt for a "guided dive" at least for the first day. As many have already said, support varies from boat to boat in California. It's not like the resort diving in the Caribbean where you have a DM in the water showing you around. You're usually on your own. Paying for a guided dive guarantees a DM will be in the water with you.

When are you planning to come this direction and who are you diving with? Maybe I can make it over to the island too.

Would yo be able to sidemount a couple of 40's putting one on while on the boat and the second in the water. I guess it depends on what your doctor means by heavy.

I have dived with a woman who is very broken, but she gets by with sidemount 40cf doubles. She can carry twenty something pounds which is one bottle. Her buddy carries the other, or the boat hands her the other. This is really not too much. The biggest challenge was the training.

It's not entirely clear to me how a neck injury precludes walking in gear that is hanging from your shoulders -- but I get the "gear too heavy to manage" thing. You're a relatively new diver, as I recall; it does get better. It's quite possible to build a tremendous amount of additional strength, even at our age. When I took my open water class, I could not climb out of the pool with an Al50 on my back. I now climb a couple of flights of ladder (not kidding) with double tanks. Slowly and carefully, but I do it. You can get stronger.

I apologize if this is a repeat of another post, but I tend to agree with TS&M here. I too am approaching 60, dive primarily in the Great Lakes and exclusively wear double steels, a drysuit and haul a 30# camera around with me. I too have a gimpy neck, crippled wrist, chronically sore back (wonder why), and pull myself back into my RIB (without tanks of course). I certainly don't expect anyone on a charter to have to schlepp my crap for me.

Chicagolady, if you're having trouble with the gear, then respectfully, get thee to the gym and begin a weight-training program! Diving can be a strenuous activity and if you aren't up to the rigors of it, you should probably consider taking up bridge.

I know in my case (I will be 59 in November) I am certainly finding diving more strenuous and tiring as the years go by. I did three dives today, each in the 130' to 150' range, in 41°F water. I'm beat, and ready to go to bed! (That's why I didn't read every post in the thread!) None-the-less, I have just ordered a new drysuit, and have every expectation of continuing diving for at least another 10 years here, before a limit my diving to the Caribbean!

I mean no disrespect... being strong and fit are critical for diving. Because the "sport" doesn't require fitness 99.9% of the time, I believe it attracts older people more and more, as well as obese and out of shape people. However, when the excrement hits the oscillator, those that aren't prepared pay the price. I am aware of two fatalities in the past few weeks in these parts of older, unfit divers dieing of heart attacks.

I should add (and in case I have completely misunderstood the situation) but if you are a tiny wiff, then making sure that the dive operation has the right size of gear helps too. Mrs Stoo is 5'3", 100# on a "fat" day. Before we go someplace where we don't take our own gear, we inquire about, and reserve if possible, a smaller tank. An AL 80 comes down to her knees on land, so if the shop has a 65 or something, it really helps. Similarly, she has worked hard to reduce the lead she carries by really working on her buoyancy skills. I think she wears 8# of lead in a 5mm suit and hooded vest, down south. She also has trouble climbing ladders though, due to a skiing injury years ago. If the ladder isn't great, she doesn't hesitate to ask for some help, and she has never received anything but helpful cooperation.

Good luck, but get on that weight machine! :)

You could try surface supply diving, leaving the tank in the boat or a hookah system.

IMG_0545.jpg

Chicagolady, if you're having trouble with the gear, then respectfully, get thee to the gym and begin a weight-training program! Diving can be a strenuous activity and if you aren't up to the rigors of it, you should probably consider taking up bridge.

You aren't allowed to say things like that here.

So funny how there are two typical threads on scuba board.

The "why aren't people trained very well, I see this horrible behavior, this horrible behavior, this and that..." this is typically posted in connection a near miss or a dive accident, typical responses are that diving agencies don't train well, the standards are too low, the requirements are too low, then always followed up by an analysis of scuba marketing, about how they sell diving as a fun, easy thing to do, learn it in 3 hours at a resort, which then follows the typical discussion of how dangerous diving really can be and how it's not just a simple carefree experience....

But the moment anyone interjects any of that reality into a thread where older people are frequenting and physical ability is in question, and watch out!!!! It's like we are trying to intern them or something. :rofl3:

LOL So which is it? Is diving wicked easy, not dangerous at all, can be taught in 3 hours and you're good to go and you never should need any more training for the rest of your life, just twinkle toe across the dive boat and pirouette into the water and let the unicorns and dolphins come and take you on a glitter filled tour of the wonders of the seas, or is it something that can be difficult, physically demanding, requiring skills to be taught and learned and dangerous when seemingly benign conditions all intersect at the same moment unexpectantly.

I already know the answers, but it's really funny how some people, especially the geriatric among us want to pretend its both ways.

By "neck injury" she means spinal injury so no amount of exercise is going to help that, in fact that may make things worse. It might be a good idea for you to not just read but also comprehend what people are asking for before you comment.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 03:25 PM ----------

I already know the answers, but it's really funny how some people, especially the geriatric among us want to pretend its both ways.

Oh good! Another amateur diver who is positive that he knows everything. I was beginning to worry we were running short of those.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 03:30 PM ----------

She is looking for a safe way to dive within her limitations. If you have ideas that might help thats fine, otherwise move on and bother someone else. There is no need to be rude in the New Diver thread or anywhere else for that matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom