Gear too heavy to walk on boat/climb ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love to hear about people diving well into their "later" years (I am 56) but I also worry that it is easy to forget that diving can be a very physical sport. When it goes well it is relatively easy and with some help almost anyone can climb the boat ladder with a smile. But when things go pear-shaped it can be a very unforgiving sport that taxes your fitness and regrettably can even be lethal in some circumstances if you have neglected your fitness completely or if age/injury has exposed an unforseen issue. I would implore the OP to get a physician's opinion on the prognosis for rehab and embark on a slow, methodical journey towards increased flexibility and strength. It is never too late and it will make diving safer and more enjoyable.

Most operators in this part of the world(SE Asia) would set up your gear(if you preferred), remove your gear on the surface after dive, bring the gear back and rinse it. You only need to bring your weight belt(if required), fins and mask on board. They are ALL part of the service. Tips would be appreciated but NOT absolutely necessary.
I have been spoiled.

I love to hear about people diving well into their "later" years (I am 56) but I also worry that it is easy to forget that diving can be a very physical sport. When it goes well it is relatively easy and with some help almost anyone can climb the boat ladder with a smile. But when things go pear-shaped it can be a very unforgiving sport that taxes your fitness and regrettably can even be lethal in some circumstances if you have neglected your fitness completely or if age/injury has exposed an unforseen issue. I would implore the OP to get a physician's opinion on the prognosis for rehab and embark on a slow, methodical journey towards increased flexibility and strength. It is never too late and it will make diving safer and more enjoyable.
I'll let you know what it is like diving into your later years when I get there.

I'm 63 diving on a regular basis and YES I have had injuries etc..My knees don't work as well as they once did my back gets sore easily but I go to a DAN certified doctor and get checked out and cleared for diving every year.

I should also add that I have been diving for almost 4 decades.

I would implore the OP to get a physician's opinion on the prognosis for rehab and embark on a slow, methodical journey towards increased flexibility and strength. It is never too late and it will make diving safer and more enjoyable.

It's never too late to be stronger or more flexible, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news: some things aren't going to get better at the gym. Or anywhere else.

There are things that you "own" forever and just have to learn to work with/around.

It saves my knees because I don't have to walk with them on the way in or out of the water.

I can jump in with no tanks, then call up and say, "can you hand me those 40s on my seat?"

On the way back up the ladder, you can reverse the process.

A lot of boat crew members aren't happy about hauling up a BC with a tank, with integrated weights or even worse manifolded doubles, but a couple weight pouches then a couple of small tanks isn't a problem.

I don't have to do this often (yet) but can see the day coming.

flots.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 08:56 PM ----------

Not sure what everybody else does, but mine is held on the harness with nylon line and SS clips. The bungees are just to keep it tight so it isn't flapping in the breeze.

For a new diver such as the OP, there is a strong possibility of dropping a tank during the hand-off. A tank attached to an inflated BC floats.

I have seen sidemount divers put their own tanks in the water attached on a line to the boat, then clip them off on their harness before unclipping from the the boat line. This would prevent the possibility of dropping the tanks, but have never seen anyone try this on a charter (only private boats).

It takes some practice to get reasonably good at attaching tanks in the water. Another option is for the OP to not dive with integrated weights and hand up the weight belt and BC separately (in that order). Either a dive operation should be happy to help with that, or the OP is on the wrong boat.

You aren't allowed to say things like that here.

LOL So which is it? Is diving wicked easy, not dangerous at all, ...

I already know the answers, but it's really funny how some people, especially the geriatric among us want to pretend its both ways.

I think the answer is "all of the above". I certainly mean no disrespect to the OP, and apologize if it came across as abrupt... None the less, sometimes "we" need to make adjustments in our lives to accommodate our increasing frailties! I used to trail run like a fool... 100 km a week... my "fun run" on Saturday morning was a 44 km run down the Bruce Trail which is a very rugged trail. At about age 42, I broke a few foot bones and tore my fascia... and that was the end of my running.

Anyway, my point was only that a weight-based training programme will strengthen whatever muscles Chicagolady has, and this will help her tremendously...

And to address the "Is diving easy or hard?" question, I can tell you will some authority that diving is easy, until it isn't. The guy who died of an apparent heart attack a couple of weeks ago was having a lovely time, right up until the time he started to fight a surface current. Then he was dead. Easy, then hard. That's diving. And as we age, we need to fight to keep our fitness and strength up...

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 10:41 AM ----------

By "neck injury" she means spinal injury so no amount of exercise is going to help that, in fact that may make things worse. It might be a good idea for you to not just read but also comprehend what people are asking for before you comment.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 03:25 PM ----------

She is looking for a safe way to dive within her limitations. If you have ideas that might help thats fine, otherwise move on and bother someone else. There is no need to be rude in the New Diver thread or anywhere else for that matter.

Rich, I respectfully disagree. Better conditioning will almost always help with a prior injury. We aren't familiar with the OPs specific injury, but apparently it isn't debilitating, but it does require some "accommodation". Strengthening her shoulder, back and neck muscles will help to support her neck, and that has to help her...

If you are addressing me with the "rude" comment, I guess we'll just disagree on that. The OP asked about being catered to on a dive boat. I think it's great if a dive crew is willing to help out someone who is having a problem, no matter the reason. But also believe that we are ultimately responsible for ourselves.

I watch dive boats head out every morning when I am in Tobermory, and I have many operators that are friends. "Divers" very much represent the generall population. We are getting older and fatter and more slovenly (painting with a very broad brush) and I just think that if you aren't fit to dive (either by choice, or by misfortune) then you should reconsider your hobby.

Genetically, I am predisposed to heart disease... Dad, brother... both had heart attacks and both were slim and reasonably fit, non-smokers, light drinkers etc. I see a cardiologist every two years for a full assessment and so far, so good. The day be condemns my pump, is the day I put my stuff on eBay. I love diving, but I love living more!

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 10:56 AM ----------

Talk to me when you are 66 Dh. You can't stave off the hands of time.

LOL... ain't it the truth. We can go down swinging though...

I'm starting to realize the accuracy of the old, "If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have looked after myself better..."

My personal challenge lately is increasing osteoarthritis in my hands. Since there is no family history, Doc thinks it's likely the result of a number of broken and dislocated fingers from ski-racing in my mis-spent Yoot. I suspect that soaking them in 39° water for the past 40 years didn't help... Drygloves are great, but they can only do so much. I'm starting to consider those nice Santi heated gloves! Ugh. Or just move to Belize...

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 10:57 AM ----------

It's never too late to be stronger or more flexible, but I hate to be the bearer of bad news: some things aren't going to get better at the gym. Or anywhere else.

>>>Googleing "Full-body Transplant"<<<

Talk to me when you are 66 Dh. You can't stave off the hands of time.

Yes you can! I run with a man in his 70's who can still run a sub-3:30 marathon.

The guy who died of an apparent heart attack a couple of weeks ago was having a lovely time, right up until the time he started to fight a surface current. Then he was dead. Easy, then hard.

I keep threatening to put together a "diving for old people" specialty class.

It would include skills like

• Inflating an SMB and having the boat pick you up, instead of fighting the current
  • Flipping off the DM when he wants you to fin against the current to see his pet <whatever>.
  • Waving "goodbye" when your buddy takes off like a shot and expects you to keep up.

In OW SCUBA the only mandatory direction is "up" and that's easy.

flots

Back
Top Bottom