gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frango65

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all - I'm thinking of moving to the So Cal area - specifically around San Diego -can't stand many more of the Pacific Northwest winters! I've only ever done cold water diving - neoprene dry suit, lots o' lead and all. What do I need to bring to dive in southern CA? Should I bring a tropical skin, or do I need a 3 mm, or 5mm, or...my drysuit?! To those of you that have done both, what is the lead difference between cold and warmer water diving? "(Currently, I dive with 26lbs on a Brooks Sealsuit)
TIA
frango

Although it's Southern California, the water is still cold. Well, maybe not as cold as where you live...lol. But it's still the Pacific.

Here's an idea of what to expect: US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Since San Diego Bay is currently blank, the Scripps Pier temperatures are near the La Jolla dive areas.

Avalon is on Catalina Island - offshore from SoCal.

You're welcome try a 3mm.... but I'm guessing you'll change your mind real fast! When we go diving (in the LA/Orange County areas), it's usually 50-60 degrees at depth. I've seen it as high as 72 in the hot summer afternoons, but then you go deeper, and it gets colder. I wear a 7mm wetsuit, 5mm hooded vest, gloves, and booties. If I could afford it I'd love to get a dry suit, but that's not going to happen for awhile. So yeah, I don't think there's a huge water temp difference.

I dive my drysuit year round down here, you'll want to also. It can be in the low 50's even high 40's at depth a lot.

I'm was from the PNW, and then moved down here and i Dive with my Neoprene Drysuit year round. But then again I get Cold Easily.

I dove up in Seattle a couple months ago and the temperature at depth was 51F, while the temperature at depth here in socal was 52F. Granted this was in the summer, but the temperatures were not significantly different. I dive a 7mm wetsuit, but am in the process of purchasing a drysuit because dealing with the serious compression of the wetsuit and trying to dive for an hour, I just get too cold. I would stick with your wetsuit if it's yours....and go with a 7mm minimum if you want to dive wet.

Just bring your drysuit and dive. You just don't need as thick of undergarment. Many SoCal divers use a full 7mm or farmer John, hood and gloves.

You'll find some dry-suiters but an overwhelming majority of us dive 7mm wetsuits. Temps are rarely under 50° at depth although, Dec-Feb, you may see 48° below 60 fsw. Below 55°, I just add a vest and it's fine.

Sure saves a bunch of weight but hey, if you're already set with a dry-suit, dive away. May look a bit silly Apr-Nov but who cares.

There are a ton of divers out here that dive dry year round, including myslef. A few summers ago I dove with just just my boardshorts and rashguard out at Ancappa and Santa Cruz Island but those days are rare. Before I got my DS I could recount a few times in April/May where I was the only diver on a filled cattle boat diving wet.

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom