Gender divide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, Japan I swear has almost no male divers. There's a company here on Oahu that caters to the japanese tourist crowd, and every time their bus pulls up to a dive site about 8-9 japanese women jump out, and no dudes. Except maybe the instructor. My OW instructor said that most of the divers in Japan are female, but I don't know about the grounds for his statement.

Peace,
Greg

Greg, your correct about women divers outnumbering men in Japan. :wink:

Hard to complain though when your on a boat with 20 women in their 20s and all weigh about 35 kilos... :D

I always thought the percentage of women increased as the water got warmer. Both from a location and seasonal perspective.

That being said once women know other women will be there they're more likely to come out. I have led a lot of club dives and more women came out when they knew they weren't the only one.

I know very few women, though, who are avid divers when their spouse/SO is not. I'm a bit more active a diver than my husband, but he teaches, which makes up for it. We both tech and cave dive, though.
You wore him down ... :D

I have had many friends tell me that they would not allow their girlfriends/wives go and dive by themselves very often... because it is mostly men that they'll end up diving with! :rofl3:
That attitude seems pretty controlling and insecure to me.

Here's a couple of sites dedicated to women divers too: girldiver.com and divegirl.com.
Cindy, the owner of girldiver.com, is a friend of mine. She's done a lot to promote diving among women in our area ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Males dominate in all sports. I believe it's because of social up-bringing and social expectations.

Just like women dominate in knitting. It is an activity that nothing to do with gender, but it's taught socially only to women.

Not in field hockey.

Women can be just as good at diving as men, if they are into it. However, in most areas, there are a lot more male divers than women, possibly because non-divers think that diving is a macho activity. Of course, that makes it a great way for single female divers to meet guys.

Here in the Gulf, I'd say the average dive boat crowd is about 70/30 male. I (male) typically show up alone, and get an insta-buddy on the boat. It seems as though women are less willing to do this and typically show up with a friend or S.O., or not at all. But I've seen plenty of women in the captain and DM ranks.

I think it's changing, like most things as our culture grows up. One woman I know is a spearfishing dynamo and a Hall's-trained instructor. She is 19 or 20, and has already saved the life of one experienced male diver on a trip I was on. She is the future of the sport, as are the young males who dive with her and don't think much about gender roles in scuba.

In my limited experience (only 25 dives) it seems like there are WAY more men than women who dive. Are there any statistics to support this? I'm a hopelessly addicted female diver and my husband will go with me but isn't so into it. Am I unusual?:D

I don't remember the numbers but what I remember about the statistics is that in Japan women are well represented in diving but that Japan is the *only* country where this is so.

I wouldn't worry about being female and "addicted". That's the part I find normal... :)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom