Gender v. Water Temp.

What average water temp. do you dive in most often?

• I am female and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • I am female and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 41 19.3%
  • I am male and I dive in warm water (above 70F)

Votes: 49 23.1%
  • I am male and I dive in cold water (below 70F)

Votes: 107 50.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafool:
No, I have come to the conclusion that my wife is a unique species unto herself. In the interests of science, I have devoted the rest of my life to studying her peculiar traits and habits.
Your wife is! I hope you and her have many happy years finding each other! :wink:

Gidds:
I'm a very curious person is all. My scientific training indicates that the generalized observed trend has a basis in something other than human physiology but it may also have something to do with geographic region.If I have some data I can do some statistical analysis on it to see if there is a significant correlation etc. We'll see how it comes out :wink: Go vote!

But, of course, this is not a scientific poll. It is self selecting, and therefore cannot be viewed as accurate.

*smile*

Jeff

Dive-aholic:
Here's something interesting - my wife and I have been diving with the same computers. We've dived with 2 different brands/models to date. Her computer always reads 1 deg colder than mine. She always jokes that it's because I'm warmer so I heat the water around me up a degree. We started off with console computers, so I don't think it's positioning of the computer. We now dive wrist computers, and we both tend to keep our hands near our chest. Who knows?!?

Rob
I'd get really interested in this phenomena if you swapped computers and came up with the same result. Have you tried it?

Alison

fwiw - the way it was explained to me once was that women tend to become cold much more easily than men because they have a greater surface area to volume ratio (due to physical shape) which means more lost body heat. Think of it like a radiator, a solid block of aluminum gives off much less heat than a radiator made out of the same amount of aluminum because the radiator has a greater amount of surface area. So the additional insulation (in the form of body fat) is negated by this.

ie

a cube which has sides all 1 square foot in size would have a surface to volume ratio of 6:1 (1 cubic foot with 6 square feet of surface area)

a cube with sides that are 2 square feet in size would have surface to volume ratio of 3:1 (8cubic feet with 24 square feet of surface area)

just some data to add to your quest...

Aloha, Tim

Gidds:
I've heard all kinds of anecdotes about this and I've made some anecdotal observations of my own but let's see what the polls say :wink:

You're going to have to summarize the results in percentages within genders. The way it's set up now you're mostly going to prove that more men will answer the poll than women. It might have been better to split the poll into two threads.

The way it stands at the moment, for example, relatively more women than men are cold water divers but you can't read that result directly from the numbers.

R..

kidspot:
a cube which has sides all 1 square foot in size would have a surface to volume ratio of 6:1 (1 cubic foot with 6 square feet of surface area)

a cube with sides that are 2 square feet in size would have surface to volume ratio of 3:1 (8cubic feet with 24 square feet of surface area)

just some data to add to your quest...

Plus we have the advantage that some areas will <ahem> shrink under cold water conditions. Less surface area to lose heat.

I'm a male and perfer to dive warm water. I have though dived in 65 deg water in a 0.5mm dive skin and 3mm hood and stayed under for 65 min on an Al 80. Didn't like it much, but a dive is a dive and right now I can't afford to buy any more exposure suit. Still I loved the 80 deg waters of Cozumel and Belize, and perfer diving there with the exposure suit that I have.

Back
Top Bottom