General question about back-inflated BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your responses. I have no problem with my trim as things are now. My current BC is getting a bit worn and it's almost time to update it. There are a number of things about it that I don't like, and I think those complaints are mostly due to the jacket style. Hence the desire to try a different style BC.

Yes, I'd love to get spring straps. However, I have an artificial leg and I can only wear the full-pocket type fin on that foot. It takes me much longer to put the fin on that foot partly because I can't bend my knee all the way. And after putting the fin on, I have to unlock the ankle, position the foot to a swim position, and then relock it. So I swim out past the surf zone so that I can take all the time I want to put the fin on and not worry about getting smashed by a wave. My good foot is no problem and I get a full-size dive fin on in no time flat.

I hadn't heard any hype about the face plant, I was just thinking ahead about potential problems.

Thanks again.

Good diving!

-Karen

As others had said the face plate problem is WAY over stated.

In addition why do you care? Put your reg in and then put your fins on.

When I walk through the surf with doubles on I'm often negative by ~20 lbs. I have to have a bit of gas in my wing (BP&W is a type of back inflate) to stay at the surface.

I always end up with my face under water as I (struggle) to reach my damn feet :)

As long as I can breath it doesn't really matter much.

Love those spring straps.

Tobin

Karen, I have one of Tobin's DSS backplate and wing rigs, and I absolutely love it. I have not worn a jacket since the day I did my OW cert. I rented a backplate and wing system after I got certified, and was hooked. I have never had my face planted at the surface. I have weight plates on the rig itself, and then I finish off with a bit in weight pouches I added to the set up. It's very streamlined and Tobin's been great to work with. See if you can get hold of a rental back plate or back inflate system, and also dive with someone that knows them and give it a few tries....

I'll second Trianii's thoughts on trying a BP&W
... and after talking to Tobin, and seeing his rigs ... I have gear lust :D

(don't get me wrong, I like my Knighthawk back inflate, it's just for a similar amount, I could have had a system that will grow with me, in any direction my diving future takes me .. I think that is the single bigest advantage a BP&W has over a back inflate BC )

Thank you all for your responses. I have no problem with my trim as things are now. My current BC is getting a bit worn and it's almost time to update it. There are a number of things about it that I don't like, and I think those complaints are mostly due to the jacket style. Hence the desire to try a different style BC.

Yes, I'd love to get spring straps. However, I have an artificial leg and I can only wear the full-pocket type fin on that foot. It takes me much longer to put the fin on that foot partly because I can't bend my knee all the way. And after putting the fin on, I have to unlock the ankle, position the foot to a swim position, and then relock it. So I swim out past the surf zone so that I can take all the time I want to put the fin on and not worry about getting smashed by a wave. My good foot is no problem and I get a full-size dive fin on in no time flat.

I hadn't heard any hype about the face plant, I was just thinking ahead about potential problems.

Thanks again.

Good diving!

-Karen

Any back inflate style be it a BP/W, Harness system or other will tend to face plant if you are overweighted. Being overweighted makes you pump too much air in the bladder and this will tend to push you over. Properly weighted, there is no push.

The extra effort needed with your leg, I would also recomend a harness system or BP/W and the spring straps. Both will make doning your fins easier.

Have fun and dive safe!

I've enjoyed reading this because I am thinking about getting a back inflate BC. I currently have a Scubapro Classic and it's great but it's a heavy BC and doesn't pack in a small space very easily. I have been thinking about getting a Knighthawk BC but was kinda worried about the "facefirst" thing. But from what I am reading here, if properly weighted, and I am very good about that, it shouldn't be an issue. My wife has a Ladyhawk and she has no problems. So my local dive shop may be loving me in a few weeks. I'm sure they'll let me try one out first before I make a purchase because I have been a really good customer over the years.

The other thing I have read is that it allows for greater moverment with your arms and all. I've been doing video for a little over a year now and that would probably be an advantage to a back inflate.

I personally do not have a bp/w (back inflate), but I do dive with others that do. This seems to be primarily a problem with incorrect weight or more commonly over inflation.

I used a standard jacket bc for my ow class and hated the way it felt on me. I didn't like the pressure on my sides and it just seemed bulky. I picked up a seaquest balance a few weeks after my certification and never looked back. It's easy to travel with, light weight and not too buoyant by itself. Like everyone else has said, I've never had a problem with getting my face pushed into the water either. Even at the end of a dive while floating at the surface with a near empty tank. Once I got my weighting worked out, I've been very stable in every position under water. Vertical, horizontal, sitting with my legs crossed (see my profile pic) and even slowly ascending face first. Although I still tend to roll over once I break the surface when I ascend face first, I'm still working on that one :dork2:

Haha,

That's funny.... I also had the idea that the back inflation BCD would cause you to float face-down.
As others have no doubt touched on. you have a big tank strapped to your back, then you have your weights around your waist and then your lower body and legs. They are all keeping you nice and vertical!

Under the water i haven't noticed any real difference between jacket and back inflation BCDs. The main reason that i changed to a BI BCD was to get away from "jacket squeeze" when the jacket is fully inflated.

If you want to move on to tec diving, you'll need to get a wind because you have to strap 2 or more tanks onto yourself. So from that point of view... I don't know if you're going that way... but maybe you should go straight to a Wing??? Up to you really.

Ask you instructor friend of yours if you could borrow her BCD for a dive and try it out before you "bite the bullet" and buy a new BCD.

Make sure you try a BP/W before you buy something. You're in for a real treat. It's one of the few gear decisions that really does make the kind of difference that would think, considering the raging debates on this forum.

I just finished my Open Water cert this weekend, first time I've actually dove and we were giving a back-inflated BCD. Having no experience otherwise I didnt' have any issues with getting in, putting on fins, or floating at the surface. I just had to remember to lean back slightly when I got to the surface before inflating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom