General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us are indeed recreational cave divers. Our dives are not ridiculously deep, far into the cave or long (a few hours max). Now the person who fills an entire pickup truck with gear for one 8 hour cave dive... he or she is not a recreational cave diver.

Unless your getting paid to dive, a la commercial - it's recreation....

What's wrong with being a recreational cave diver? I would consider myself one.

Yes you are, along with myself and most I know. And we log a ton of time in the caves each year.

They check your dive certs at the desk, not out on the water. You can't expect the scuba police to be everywhere at once. Vortex is typically a busy place.

Is Vortex that busy on a Wednesday? Or Thursday that they didnt notice the truck hadnt moved? I'm not questioning what you are saying, but those are the things that dont make sense to me.

Most of us are indeed recreational cave divers. Our dives are not ridiculously deep, far into the cave or long (a few hours max). Now the person who fills an entire pickup truck with gear for one 8 hour cave dive... he or she is not a recreational cave diver.

I hope I didn't come off as sarcastic, and I truly didn't realize that there were recreational cave divers. I'm a recreational diver and after a few of those videos Cave Diver posted, I think I'll let you guys handle the caves.

I have immense repect for ALL cavers.

Is Vortex that busy on a Wednesday? Or Thursday that they didnt notice the truck hadnt moved? I'm not questioning what you are saying, but those are the things that dont make sense to me.

People camp there. Not uncommon for people to park by the water and walk to the camp sites.

If this does happen, all it will accomplish it one thing. Edd will be a very busy man at Vortex.

I think it would be a better plan to have Edd helping me get our new sidemount rigs worked out than having him searching Vortex for more dead divers... not going to speak for him, but I don't think it is much of a reach to think he probably would rather be working with his customers earning a living than doing body recoveries as well...

I think it would be a better plan to have Edd helping me get our new sidemount rigs worked out than having him searching Vortex for more dead divers... not going to speak for him, but I don't think it is much of a reach to think he probably would rather be working with his customers earning a living than doing body recoveries as well...

I agree, spending money with Edd is money spent wise :D

Is Vortex that busy on a Wednesday? Or Thursday that they didnt notice the truck hadnt moved?...
What's to notice? Typically my truck gets parked when I arrive at Vortex and stays put until I leave. That may be anywhere from one to five days, usually two or three. There's one guy there whose van doesn't move for several weeks at a time.
Rick

Yes. I've been there on both a Tuesday & a Wednesday, and each time the tables were just about full, and there were 15-20 divers in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom