General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Striving to be the best and smoking is in direct contradiction. Their instructors are nearly always booked months in advance...

I know of 2 GUE instructors that smoke. I think that anyone who desires GUE training and smokes, usually just lies on the form, then keeps their habit on the QT when diving with GUE brethren. I believe that imposing draconian rules in a recreational activity breeds subversion of those very rules, and is counter-productive to promoting dive education, and preventing some of the "Ben" incidents.

It's that type of attitude and rigidity that turns people off from what would otherwise be an attractive set of principles.
If WKPP divers are breaking the rules which the state gave them the permit based upon, Casey needs to know. Permits are too hard to get to allow rules to go lax.

Come on guys.... this isn't the DIR / GUE "smoking thread". It has nothing to do with the accident at Vortex. Posting on "DIR closet smokers" has been going for 2 days now. :no:

Feel free to go start a thread on it somewhere else, or have a moderator move the posts to a new thread.

Come on guys.... this isn't the DIR / GUE "smoking thread". It has nothing to do with the accident at Vortex. Posting on "DIR closet smokers" has been going for 2 days now. :no:

Feel free to go start a thread on it somewhere else, or have a moderator move the posts to a new thread.

this thread got off topic? no way!

Nothing else to discuss about the incident, who cares what else is discussed?

I know of 2 GUE instructors that smoke. I think that anyone who desires GUE training and smokes, usually just lies on the form, then keeps their habit on the QT when diving with GUE brethren. I believe that imposing draconian rules in a recreational activity breeds subversion of those very rules, and is counter-productive to promoting dive education, and preventing some of the "Ben" incidents.

Diverting the off-topic hijack just a bit further for some humor -

In the southeast, there is a joke that goes:

Q Why do you never take just one Baptist fishing?

A Because he will drink all your beer.

For those not from the southeast, the joke is based on the Southern Baptist premise that alcohol is evil, but many members still drink in private. Thus, if one takes two Baptists fishing, they will each "guilt" the other into not drinking - but without the company of other Baptists, they will drink everything available.

Yes - it is based upon a stereotype, and of course not universally applicable. Get over it - it is just a joke. But the hypocrisy evident in the joke seemed parallel to the GUE/DIR smoking issue. Get over that too. No one is perfect.

End of continued hijack!

Alright mike, lets talk about that avatar of yours. Best damn one you have ever had!

Interesting picture you attached.... Particularly that brass fitting. :popcorn: (I think all the cool kid cave divers are using those now.....)
(here it is blown up..... Yoke Reg and brass DIN/Yoke adapter fitting typically used for fills. :popcorn:)

Ben-mcdaniel-regulator.jpg

Looks great next to the VR3.

*edit* On a side note, it's great to see that the thread is going back to its original well-worn circle of agency and instructor tussles, where SM is appropriate to use, misinformation about the size of the restriction and a little conspiracy theory for good measure.

Okay...so once again I will ask: What is the EVIDENCE that the second lock was Ben's?

Can I get an answer please.

And Kraken...you obviously have never given birth.

If Ben had his handy dandy lock on the gate, then he was able to dive at Vortex at whim. Day or night on his year off. How many people on the recovery have been diving at Vortex that far back the last few years? I would say very few, since it sounds like it is not the premiere cave to choose. He had plenty of time to wiggle himself into the very back as his final challenge.

I think the Mexico speculation is sheer crap. And I will buy everyone here a case of Cerveza's if and when it is proven true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom