General Vortex Incident Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind, that post is my personal opinion based on the way I'm interpreting everything I've learned about this incident. It's likely that I've gotten more input than most posters on this thread who are simply reading along. It's possible that I have as much information as some people that have been participating. It's doubtful that I have more information than those actively involved in the investigation.

The conclusions I've drawn are my own, based on what I've heard and read and should not be taken as fact, merely my own personal speculation.

Cave Diver, I really appreciated the answer you gave to the question I asked. I realize it is your personal take on the situation, but I respect your opinions (based on opinions you have given in the past on other threads). You always keep a even keel when dealing with issues on the board and I respect that, Id like to do a better job of doing the same. I let my emotions get the best of me when I saw the "nuff said" comment and made a comment that didnt contribute to the conversation because I felt stung. Some folks (ucfdiver) decided to pile on and call me an idiot for making an obvious joke (I admit I am a smart ass sometimes, I thought I was clear that the terrorism/witness protection comment was a joke) and while my second comment was emotional and in bad taste, my first post that evoked Kevin Carlisle's criticism was a legitimate question, thank you again for answering it.

Cave Diver, I really appreciated the answer you gave to the question I asked. I realize it is your personal take on the situation, but I respect your opinions (based on opinions you have given in the past on other threads). You always keep a even keel when dealing with issues on the board and I respect that, Id like to do a better job of doing the same. I let my emotions get the best of me when I saw the "nuff said" comment and made a comment that didnt contribute to the conversation because I felt stung. Some folks (ucfdiver) decided to pile on and call me an idiot for making an obvious joke (I admit I am a smart ass sometimes, I thought I was clear that the terrorism/witness protection comment was a joke) and while my second comment was emotional and in bad taste, my first post that evoked Kevin Carlisle's criticism was a legitimate question, thank you again for answering it.

Number one I don't think I criticized you at all. I told you the simple fact that you don't know much about what's going on. For you to sit back and say Stop all the Hoax talk when you have no idea what's going on was old. As for my remark Nuff said. The same holds true today. I will not speak of things I know which can't be public right now. Believe what you want, in there, not in there. He might be, then again he might be in Mexico drinking a margarita. Hopefullt his family will have some closure soon.

My bad, I didn't mean to be rude after you started cracking jokes in a thread about someone dying and many people taking risks to go find him.

Number one I don't think I criticized you at all. I told you the simple fact that you don't know much about what's going on. For you to sit back and say Stop all the Hoax talk when you have no idea what's going on was old. As for my remark Nuff said. The same holds true today. I will not speak of things I know which can't be public right now. Believe what you want, in there, not in there. He might be, then again he might be in Mexico drinking a margarita. Hopefullt his family will have some closure soon.

I think that we have lost communication here. I should have just ignored the "nuff said" comment, I took it as you telling me to quit asking questions, but I'll take your word that it was more benign than that. I never said, or implied that I thought hoax talk should stop...in fact the reason I took exception to what you said to me was because I thought you were saying that discussion of hoax scenarios should stop. Again, I never asked anyone to share anything that they felt they should not share. I made a comment about something that was freely shared with the forum. The person that I was speaking to must have not taken offense that I was asking a question because they responded to it and answered it. The great thing about a forum is that unlike actual conversation, you can review what has or hasn't been said at any time. As for what I believe regarding the missing diver's whereabouts, I have no idea I only get second/third hand info from ScubaBoard, I'm content following the thread and hopefully finding out at some point in the future.

My bad, I didn't mean to be rude after you started cracking jokes in a thread about someone dying and many people taking risks to go find him.

I have admitted that my comment was in bad taste. I apologize that I made it. Not making the crack and just asking why conversation was being stifled (or so I thought) would have served my purpose a lot better, and not detracted from the actual conversation.

Is Vortex open to the public again?
Only restriction is that the Sheriff has put his own locks on the gate past the piano room. If he has an idea as to how long he'll keep it closed I have not been able to determine. I suspect he's trying to get the fellow who laid the final few feet of line there, who I hear is over on a project in Holland right now, to come see if he can squeeze back in there and check that last little hole. He's the only guy I know of who's both expert enough and small enough to do it.
All else is open.
Rick

I have admitted that my comment was in bad taste. I apologize that I made it. Not making the crack and just asking why conversation was being stifled (or so I thought) would have served my purpose a lot better, and not detracted from the actual conversation.
Well then, in all seriousness conversation is being stifled because it

• Is based off of a lack of knowledge, and these theories can hurt the family.
  • Brings negative attention to the cave community (and we're trying to get more caves open)
  • Gives lawyers ideas.
All in all, too much analysis without all the facts just isn't a good thing.

Only restriction is that the Sheriff has put his own locks on the gate past the piano room.
Thanks Rick. Is this the only gate in the system? How far back from the entrance and/or other gates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom